Chapter 6

After he had read the file that was given to him, Y/N was taken aback by everything that he had learned, including all that Dr. Bae had said.

He never would have thought that these "children" had already endured so much this early in their lives, and that it was a miracle that they were taken here to be given another chance.

But even he cannot deny that despite this seemingly good intentions of the institute, it goes without saying that the life they're about to enter is not that different, and one can say that their fates are still just as cruel.

For an organization to make use of them similar to how warlords use child soldiers in the real world, this is the harsh reality that he must both understand and endure in order to obtain the justice that he seeks.

Yes, it's the only thing that matters to him the most, even after the truth was shared to him by these people.

For he is still in the midst of searching for another truth, one that will definitely expose the kind of society that he lives in.

Having weighed the enormous responsibility given to him, Y/N promised to himself that no matter how dangerous his choices are, he must see it through until the end.

Once he and Minji met for the first time, he was unsure as to how their partnership would be like. He knew all too well that despite the physical, mental and emotional conditioning that she went through, the trauma that she experienced is still embedded in her psyche. No amount of therapy or conditioning would be perfect enough in order to remove it completely from her mind.

He saw her sitting at an empty table in the middle of her quarters, and it was there when he noticed that she had occupied herself with fixing and maintaining a small firearm.

It was a .45 acp handgun, and she was expertly cleaning each of its components before putting it all back together with relative ease.

Once she was done, Minji noticed him slowly walking towards her. Through her heightened senses, she immediately figured out who he is, as well as his own emotional state before she starts a conversation.

At first, Y/N was unsure how to talk to her, let alone get along with her. The only thing that's certain in his mind is that he needs to be very gentle and aware of her well-being, as he believes that this is the only way for her to feel at ease.

But before he could say anything, the girl stood up from her seat, and then promptly took a bow so as to greet him with respect.

He was dumbfounded by her actions, as he expected her to be a sheltered and distrustful girl even if she knew who he was. Y/N thought that perhaps, this was a result of the "modifications" done to her, although he secretly wished that she was being genuine towards him.

"You must be Lee Y/N, yes? I was told to wait for you, even though I was still unsure if you'll be the one who will act as my handler. But I'm glad that you're here now. It's good to finally meet you, Y/N-ssi. I hope that we can get along fine." She said in a courteous manner.

"I-I see. You're right. My name is Lee Y/N, and starting today, I will be working as a member of the Haven Institute. I am to be your handler, so you presumed correct. It's good to meet you too."

Things became awkward for the next few minutes or so, as neither of them were certain as to what they're going to do or talk about. Irene did not necessarily give him any more details as to what tasks he must instruct her to do, other than for him to try and get to know her for as much as he can.