•EFFORT•

The following morning

Melissa woke up at 9; she took a quick shower, got dressed neatly in black slacks and tunic tops. She then had her usual breakfast which consisted of a pancake, sunny side up eggs and three slices of roasted bacon. She decided to take a temporary break from her workplace solely to help assist in the boy's investigation case.

Then, she drove to Kingswood Hospital to come and visit him.

***************

Melissa headed inside the hospital, then she went straight to the room where the boy was hospitalized. As soon as she stepped inside the room, she saw one detective and officer, Zachary interview the boy.

"Sorry.." Melissa then exited the room immediately as she didn't want to disturb the interview.

She waited outside the room anxiously, as she was eager to know what truly occurred last night.

20 minutes later

Zachary and the Detective exited the room, before Zach made his way towards the hospital lobby, he approached his old college friend, Melissa.

"We'll look for that woman. from what he recalled, she isn't even his biological mother" Zachary said.

"What? Is there any legal document about him?"

"As of right now nobody knows him, and he's possibly a missing child or a young victim of human trafficking" Zachary replied.

"I wanted to adopt him legally" Melissa sounded determined as she said that.

"Well, that'll be long proccess. So far he's not talking much to us, perhaps your smooth approach will do. Call me if he mentioned anything important about the woman who did that to him"

Melissa nodded in respond; she then entered the room, whereas Zachary went straight towards the hospital lobby, to approach the detective he was with earlier.

"Good morning" Melissa greeted the unknown boy warmly with a smile plastered on her face.
The little boy was Caucasian with blond hair, oceanic blue eyes, and small thin pinkish lips.

"Don't worry. I'm here to check up on you. what's your name bytheway?" Melissa sat on the round chair next to him.

He shrugged.

"How are you feeling today?"

"Scared" He murmured.

"Why is that?"

He shook his head without a words.

Melissa pressed her warm palms against his as she stared at him deeply, as a form to gain his trust.

"You'll be fine, I'm here. We'll figure out what happened to you" Melissa stated.

He didn't respond to that, his lips were sealed shut.

"Are you hungry?" Melissa attempted to converse with him.

He shook his head in respond.

"It's alright. with me, you'll be fine. You have to trust me, I know it takes time, it doesn't matter. I'm here to fight for you" Melissa told the little boy.

He smirked a little when he heard that which warmed Melissa's heart and soul.

"See? You're smiling! I'm happy to help you, therefore I need you to talk to me if you're ready. No pressure"

"Who are you?" The little boy finally spoke up.

"Me? I'm a child psychologist and I'll be sure to bring you to a safe environment" Melissa explained about herself briefly.

"Well.. I think.. I was drugged.." He replied as his eyebrows turned stern, trying to recall the event that befell him.

"Who did that to you?"

"I-I don't know" He gulped his spat in tension as he turned nervous.

"It's alright, you're safe now. Talk when you're ready, okay?"

He nodded in respond.

Melissa's phone ringing, she picked up the calls. It was none other than Zachary who called her.

Melissa exited the room to have a private conversation with Zachary over the phone.

"Did he mention anything so far?"

"No. He only said that he was drugged" Melissa replied.

"Yeah the drug test result came as positive. He was on Cocaine and several other substance" Zachary explained.

"What the hell, Zach. Did you find anything so far about the woman that put him inside the suitcase?"

"We're trying to find a witness. Once that boy was discharged from the Hospital, social service would-"

"No. I will adopt him, like I said" Melissa cut Zachary's word sternly.

"Yeah fine, you could but through all legal procedure" Zachary replied on the line.

"Of course. I will give you a call in case he told me anything new"

"Listen, we need informations about that woman. Make sure he speak up about that, we're having a hard time trying to find a witness since that abandoned park was desolate"

"I will. Don't worry" Melissa tried to assure her old college friend before she hung up. She then made her way out of the Hospital to purchase two chocolate almond ice creams for the little boy and herself since it was one of her favorite.

************

"I have an ice cream for youu" Melissa hummed as she handed the ice cream to him.

"Thanks" He muttered coyly.

The two consumed their ice cream in silence as Melissa tried her best to make the boy comfortable.

10 minutes later

"Here's the tissue..." Melissa handed him one ply of tissue for him to wipe his mouth.

He then wiped away the chocolate stain on his upper lips and cheek, then threw it in the trash bin next to his bed. Melissa did the same too.

"How was the ice cream, did you like it?"

"I did" He replied.

"Good. I guess, I'll see you tomorrow"

"Wait.." He summoned Melissa, and prevented her from leaving his room. Her eyes twinkled as she turned around to approach him.

"Yes? Are you ready to talk?"

He nodded in respond.

"I'm all ears" Melissa sat on the round chair next to him.

"I don't remember much but.. all I could recall was that my mom bring me to another motel to meet someone.. then there's a weird woman who keep talking to me and ended up throwing me in her car.."

Melissa's pupil widened in disbelief. Her heart pounded relentlessly, imagining the horror the boy must've been going through that fateful night.

"Sorry honey, I was wondering if your mom-"

"Yes she's a prostitute" he replied cooly.

He even knew that words...

"How old are you?" Melissa raised her brows.

"I'm twelve"

"Okay sweetheart. I understand, is your mom alright now?"

"I don't know" He shrugged.