•CHARLIE'S RETURN•

The following morning

Melissa woke up on her couch as she could no longer sleep soundly inside her room due to anxiety about Charlie's sudden presence. She returned home empty-handed last night, wondering where her twelve-year-old foster son whom she cherished, went.

That fateful morning, Melissa cooked breakfast for two in case Charlie returned, or she found him somehow.

***********************

While enjoying her breakfast, Melissa heard her back door being opened; she quickly swallowed her sandwich and stood up to check. It was Charlie, he intended to go undetected. He looked disoriented as if he was covered in dirt.

"Charlie!" Melissa called him. He then jogged upstairs; she rushed to chase after him, leaving her half-bitten sandwich to get cold.

As soon as she made it in front of his room, Melissa opened the door. She saw Charlie on his knees as he ducked his head and was sitting in the corner of his room while sobbing. In an instant, her frustration turned into concern.

"Honey, come on, I'm not mad at you.. okay?" Melissa approached him.

Charlie continued to sob; his eye socket turned a bit reddish, causing his blue eyes to look darker. Melissa approached him and hugged him warmly, trying to provide him with some comfort.

"I understand you didn't want to talk to anyone. You really don't have to if you're not feeling it, there is no pressure. However, honey, that pocket knife, and the way you threat everyone, that's not what I wanted to see in you, do you understand?" Melissa fixed his side-swept blonde bangs as she advised him. He was a little sweaty from all the crying. Charlie nodded in respond.

"Okay you didn't have to go to school today, you know? What do you want to do?"

"I wanted to.. eat and sleep right now" Charlie murmured.

"Okay you got it" Melissa smiled, kissed his forehead, then she exited his room and brought his sandwich to his room alongside one glass of water.

"I'll be off to work in 15 minutes, please watch the house, I trust you honey"

Charlie nodded in respond.

********************

Melissa was on her way to work; she genuinely felt bad for Charlie. She couldn't stop thinking of him and how much she cherished him; how much he was the apple of her eyes. It's painful to see him sobbing like that, knowing where he comes from and what he's been through.

3 days later

Life went back to normal for Melissa and Charlie. For the weekend, Melissa planned to go fishing with him directly in the open sea, as she already contacted one of Zachary's friends whom he introduced to her since this one friend happened to be a professional fishermen. he even owned a fishmarket, also business where he rented all five of his boat for other fishermen or tourists. Charlie was delighted when he heard about the trip as he seemingly moved on from what had happened days prior.

"So you decided to let him stay with you?" Ms Martinez asked Melissa as the two sat at their office desk during breaktime while sipping their coffee.

"Yeah. He's troubled, I know but he's no evil" Melissa replied.

Ms Martinez smiled simply as she nodded in respond, she wanted to express her disagreement; however she decided not to since Melissa adored the foster boy so much.

***********************

Melissa was on her way to pick up Charlie from school since it was already 3pm. She drove in absolute silence, and as soon as she made it in front of the school gate, Charlie spotted her car immediately as he immediately approached.

"How's school today, sweetheart?" Melissa asked.

"It was fine" Charlie fastened his seatbelt; his blue eyes once again glanced at Melissa; somehow he smirked.

"Okay, let's go home. Tomorrow we'll be eating the fish we catch!" Melissa announced energetically.

"Can't wait for it" Charlie grinned as he turned on the AUX, cranking up his one and only favorite tune by MJ-Remember The Time. Even Melissa got bored and lethargic from listening to it; however Charlie was the opposite.