•SOMETHING IS OFF•

Charlie was waiting in front of the school gates by himself; he looked gloomy. Melissa opened her driver's seat window as she pressed the horn multiple times while waving her hands at Charlie, he finally noticed her. He smiled immensely and jogged towards the car and hopped into the passenger's seat, then he fastened his seatbelt.

"How was school today?" Melissa asked.

"It was shit" Charlie replied nonchalantly, Melissa was displeased by the way Charlie responded and the words he used.

"Mhmm" Melissa cleared her throat to reprimand Charlie so that he could rephrase his words.

"My mom called me that. She said I'm an ugly piece of shit" Charlie stated.

"Now, I'm your foster mother and you have to listen to me, sweetheart. Also, did someone hurt you?"

Charlie shook his head.

"Then, what happened?"

"I hurt them"

Melissa's heart skipped a beat as she tried to absorb what Charlie had just stated.

"Huh? What do you mean?"

Charlie grinned, "Nothing, I'm joking. School is actually fine"

"Charlie, lying isn't right,you know that?"

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to"

"Okay. I cooked halibut for you today"

"Thank you" Charlie smiled.

"Do you want me to turn the radio on?"

"Yes, I love listening to music" Charlie replied as he turned his head towards the window as he leaned his back.

"Okay" Melissa smiled warmly at him as she turned the radio on which happened to be 'Remember The Time' by Michael Jackson.

***************

As soon as the two made it home, both got out of the car right after Melissa parked it in the driveway. Charlie rushed inside, and went straight to the kitchen where Melissa had prepared his lunch. Halibut with Lemon Butter Sauce.

"Charlie, today officer Zachary will join us for dinner and he'd love to ask you some questions about your mother" Melissa tried to inform Charlie smoothly.

"Okay.." Charlie replied.

"Just answer truthfully, okay? You don't have to worry because no matter what, you're safe here with me" Melissa smiled warmly.

Charlie smiled and nodded in respond as he chewed his lunch.

Melissa exited the kitchen, went straight into her room, and changed her clothes into night pajamas, whereas Charlie enjoyed his lunch. After that, he lifted up the plates and began to wash the dishes.

7 PM

Melissa was cuddling with Charlie; she tried to pour him the affection he deserved but never got from anyone. That's where someone knocked on her front door.

"Who's that?" Charlie asked.

"Officer Zachary, maybe" Melissa stood up as she approached the door to open it. True, it was Zachary, still dressed in a police uniform. He then entered the house.

"Have a seat. Do you want to interview him in here or inside?" Melissa gave Zachary some options.

"I'm in hurry so here I guess. Could I have a word with him privately, please?" Zachary requested.

Melissa sighed exasperatedly, she then nodded her head, "If you need anything, I'm in the kitchen"

"Thank you" Zachary smiled, Charlie turned his head towards Melissa as he felt objected, being left alone without her next to him.

*******************

"Good evening, Charlie. Don't worry, I'm here just to ask you a little question about your mother. you mentioned that she's a street worker wasn't she?"

"Yeah she was a full time prostitute" Charlie replied coldly.

Zachary was astounded by his reply; however, he brushed it off and continued.

"Do you know the person she stabbed?"

"She stabbed a lot of people so I didn't know"

"Who are those people?" Zachary raised his brows.

"I don't know. she's pretty violent" Charlie replied nonchalantly.

"Okay, did she give you certain drugs?"

"Mhmm"

"What is it?"

"She would mix my drink with something I don't know what it's called" Charlie explained.

"And what happened to you after you drink that?"

"Dizzy, then I passed out for hours and as soon as I regained consciousness, she wasn't home"

"Okay. that's all I need to know, thank you for your cooperation" Zachary smiled warmly at Charlie.

"Why do you want to know about her?" Charlie raised his brows as he narrowed his eyes at officer Zachary.

"Well, this is an ongoing investigation. Are you aware that she's in jail?"

"Not that I care" Charlie replied nonchalantly.

Zachary was stunned and speechless; he paused a bit before he summoned Melissa.

"Mel, I'm done!" He yelled.

Melissa rushed out of the kitchen to approach Zachary, "Did you put him under pressure? Because you better don't-"

"Don't worry, it's all settled" Zachary smiled before he made his way out of Melissa's residence.

Charlie quickly hid behind Melissa as he gripped her pajamas. She then turned around to hug him; she sensed he was scared and uneasy.

"What did he do, honey? Are you alright?"

"He asked me about mom. I don't want to remember anything about her" Charlie muttered.

"Don't worry honey, he won't ask again. Now time for bed, tomorrow you have to go to school and I'll cook special meal for you, okay?" Melissa stared at Charlie's oceanic blue eyes, deeply. He then nodded in respond. Melissa walked him into his room, pulled up the blankets for him and turned off the lamp before she kissed him on the forehead and left.