EPILOGUE

OLIVIA
Two Years Later

Alex and I just brought in the last of our boxes into our new apartment. We had a hard time choosing between mine or his (really, for me it wasn't that hard since mine was so gross and his was so nice). He wanted something new and fresh for both of us. Until we can buy a house in Hastings, he said.

"I think that's the last of it," he sighed. "I'm exhausted. I should've asked Jack for help."

"It's perfect," I said, starting to unpack. "I'm glad at least the bed got delivered." We almost didn't make it. My lease had ended a little over a year ago, and I then moved in with Alex in his apartment (I'd be lying if I said I wasn't already staying there most of the time, anyway). When his lease ended, our new apartment still wasn't ready. Of course, his landlord being the wonderful man he is, let him stay for an extra month without all the hassle of the paperwork. Finally, most of our furniture came, and we were able to move in here.

Our apartment had beautiful, ceiling-to-floor windows and a second-floor loft, and was newly renovated. It had two bedrooms and two bathrooms, enough for visitors and also for us to have our own private space.

We got married on October 12th—on our one-year anniversary—in Vermont. Since it was farther north than New York, most of the trees were orange and red by that time. We had an outdoor wedding and the day was beautifully autumnal and chilly.

It was small. Mostly my family and his and a few select friends. We had a covered seating/dancing area and we partied until the sun came up. The night after when we stargazed outside, I thanked all my lucky stars that led me to him. I was thankful for every last one of them.

For our honeymoon, we went to Italy. Alex had never been, and I wanted to show him some of my favorite parts of Sicily. Then, of course, we went to Rome and were the usual American tourists that Italians hate. We made pizza, drank a shit-ton of wine, and I somehow fell even deeper in love with him. We stayed in a beautiful little house that overlooked the beautiful coast and water. It cost a fortune. Like really ridiculous. But it was so worth it.

Married life with him has been a breeze. We are constantly together when we can be, never ever getting tired of each other's company.

I wouldn't need anyone else as long as I had him.

"Don't unpack now," he said. "Just come sit here with me." I went over and plopped down next to him, and Pudding came to sit next to us. "So what now?" He chuckled.

"I don't know," I sighed. "Should we christen the new couch?"

"It's like you read my mind," he smiled.

-: ✧ :-

That night, we had a little party to finally break in our new place. We put away most of what we could though we were still trying to figure out how to organize everything.

Monica and Daniel came, along with their newest addition, Charlotte, who was just under a year old. Amy and her girlfriend Alice, and Jake, who was still a single bachelor, who had now moved on from Dave to Matthew. Jack was newly single after dating a crazy stalker that they nicknamed Sophia 2.0. My parents came of course. We got takeout and all reminisced on our times together.

When everyone left, Alex was unpacking the box labeled "Dad's things". He put some picture frames of his dad and his mom together on the counter, along with some family photos of them all on the credenza by the front door. I went up behind him to hug him. "That's a beautiful photo of you all," I said, kissing him on the shoulder.

"I wish they were here," he said so quietly I almost didn't hear.

"Me, too."

I felt sick all of a sudden. I ran to the bathroom, vomiting into the toilet. That sure is one way to break in a new toilet.

"Olivia, are you okay?" Alex knocked on the door.

"I'm fine, I just..." Oh no.

Oh no.

I quickly rushed out the door, popping a stick of gum in my mouth, and ran to the nearest convenience store. I ran so fast Alex couldn't catch up.

-: ✧ :-

"What's the matter?" he said, through the closed door. I came right home and locked myself in the bathroom.

"I just need a minute," I told him, shaking so hard as I squatted onto the toilet seat, holding a test beneath me. Then two tests. Then three. Then five. Then the whole next two boxes.

I heard Alex lean down against the door, intermittently asking if I was okay.

"Alex," I said shakily.

"Can I come in? Please?" He asked. I got up to unlock it for him. "What's going on..." he paused when he saw all the pregnancy tests scattered on the bathroom counter.

All the pregnancy tests were positive.

"I missed my period. It's two weeks late," I whispered. "Look. These are all positive."

"Olivia..." he said, then looked down at all the tests. "Are you serious?" He started smiling—beaming like a sunray.

"I'm pregnant," I squealed. He picked me up and spun me around, planting kisses on every exposed area of my skin. "Oh my god, we're having a baby."

"Oh my god," He exhaled then laughed. He ran his fingers through his hair and covered his mouth. "Oh my god!" He hugged me again, burying his face in my neck.

"I can't believe it," I said. "Well, I can. We fuck like bunnies." We laughed and hugged for a long time.

I went to facetime Monica. When the call connected, she was feeding Charlotte.

"Hey! I didn't think I'd hear from you tonight. Thought you guys might be busy," she winked.

"Oh, we'll be busy. Busy for the next nine months." She paused as I smiled and waited as she stared me down.

"What do you..." Before she could finish, I flipped the camera around and showed her all my positive test results. She screamed. Screamed so loud that Charlotte woke up and began to fuss and cry. All I could do is laugh because I knew she was going to spend the rest of the night trying to calm her down. "OLIVIA!! Our babies can fall in love! They're going to be childhood sweethearts!" Now the tears started streaming down her face and mine also.

After calling everybody I knew to tell them the news, Alex and I finally laid down on our new bed together, the moonlight shining brightly through our windows. He spooned me, holding me so close and tight; his hands rubbing over my tummy. "There's nothing really there yet," I said.

"There will be, though. Do we really have to wait nine months?" We laughed and then kissed. I've kissed him so many times at this point but it still made me hazy.

I couldn't believe we were having a baby.