six.

WINTER'S FLAME

⎯WINTER'S FLAME

❆❆❆

Marya would love all her children equally, but she had hated birthing them. After her return from Dragonstone, she had landed Eraesys in the Dragonpit before she went back to the Red Keep, with Prince Daemon by her side, who had apologised to his brother and in return offered his sword, Dark Sister, to protect the Queen—to show just how apologetic he had been.

While Viserys had been blind towards the two, he had accepted, knowing it hadn't mattered anyways.

But as Daemon remained by the side of the Queen—his true wife—he had been the first to witness the break of her water. Her first child had been difficult to deliver, not for the Queen because besides the pain she had no complaints over the fast hour her child was born, but it had been the Midwives who first raised their voices as Prince Daemon would not leave her side, and Suvie—the giant direwolf the servants feared—would not leave her other side.

Marya had cried during her labours, thinking something might have been wrong, that her child was not well before she first heard its cries. The Grandmaester—who had come on request of both Prince Daemon and King Viserys after the events of Queen Aemma's last birth—had held the babe as he gave the babe to the midwives to be wrapped in cloth.

"A son, my Queen" the Grandmaester said. "You have given birth to a son" he said before the Midwife handed her the small babe, wrapped in broken white cloth. At the same time her son's cries filled her room, a roar reached her ears, when she looked up, she saw a small hatchling, shining golden with light pink membranes between its wings. "A son" Marya marvelled as she held him close to her, tuffs of silver hair on his head.

"Aegon" she said, her finger caressing his cheek as his cries went silent as he laid comfortable in his mother's arms. "Tell the King, Aegon, second of his name, has been born" Marya said, not referring to the new Princeling as the King's son before the midwives and Grandmaester left to spread the good word.

"Aegon" Daemon said, still beside her. "Is that alright?" she asked, and Daemon smiled. "it's perfect" he said, caressing Aegon's cheek softly, before he straightened himself. "I will wait outside, to remain our duty" he said, and Marya nodded as the midwives returned with a new dress and sheets.

She was dressed in Targaryen red and black, and Aegon was wrapped in red blanket. She held him in her arms as she walked closer to the small hatchling which had been roaring in Aegon's cradle. The hatchling, as gold as the jewellery of the Queen, and shining as the sun, roared in delight when Aegon was placed in the cradle, like he had been waiting for the babe.

The golden beast had roared again when the doors opened, only to reveal the Hand and the King. "Your Grace" Marya said, slightly bowing as her hand fell over her now slightly flattened belly. "A son" The Hand said, with slight pride in his voice, the Stark girl had done what she had said she would. "Congratulations, my Queen" Otto said, and Marya nodded in thanks. "Rest well" Viserys said, quickly looking at the dragon hatchling in the cradle before he walked away again, which slightly shattered the heart of the Northern Queen.