eight.

WINTER'S FLAME

⎯WINTER'S FLAME

❆❆❆

The very moment the Stepstones were at peace, Prince Daemon mounted his dragon, Caraxes, and flew back to King's Landing. A driftwood crown on his head, and the weapon of the Crabfeeder in his hand as he walked into the Great Hall, where the King had been awaiting him. The Hand stood before the Iron Throne of the rightside and Rhaenyra stood on the left, but there had been no sign of Queen Marya.

"I offer you my crown, they named me King of the Narrow Sea and the Stepstones, but I know there is only one true King" Daemon said as he kneeled before the King, his long silver hair a mess from battle, his armour dented and his face dirtied. It had been a final month of fighting to finish and have peace, a month since Princess Helaena was born.

Rhaenyra had a smile on her face as her Uncle had returned, hoping his visit would cut off her tour around the Realm to seek a betrothed. But Daemon's mind had not been focused on Rhaenyra. He wanted to go back to being by his wife's side. "I wish to join my old position, the Queen's protector" Daemon said as Viserys stood up. "I would like to add to it" Viserys said, and Daemon looked confused.

"Prince Daemon of House Targaryen, I hereby name you the sworn protector of Queen Marya of House Stark, and her children; the Prince Aegon and Princess Helaena" Viserys said, and Daemon bowed his head as he unsheathed Dark Sister. "My sword is theirs" he vowed, and he spoke no lies, he would do anything to protect them. He stood up and placed his sword back in its place before he hugged his brother, the King.

Daemon had skilfully managed to escape the room, and find Marya, who had been in her apartments. Suvie lying by her feet, Aegon playing with a wooden dragon next to the Direwolf, and a small babe attached to her breast. "ñuha jorrāelagon/my love" Daemon whispered as he entered the room, closing the door behind him, removing large pieces of his armour quickly as he fell to his knees before her, after Suvie jumped on the small sofa as if she knew.

Marya let out a breath of relief she had not realised she had been holding, one arm still held Helaena as the other was placed on Daemon's shoulder, touching him made everything real and she closed her eyes as a tear rolled down of happiness.

"rhaenagon aōha tala/meet your daughter" Marya said as she noticed Helaena unlatched from her breast, her hands grabbing the soft blanket. Daemon inched closer, with Aegon joining by his side which made Marya smile, she loved the sight before her. Daemon's long hair was tangled and dirty, like he had run from the Stepstones to King's Landing. "skoros iksis zirȳla brōzi/what is her name"Daemon asked. "Helaena, Princess Helaena" Marya said despite Viserys mentioning it before, it felt different when Marya said her name, introduced her. Daemon turned to Aegon, grabbing him by his small waist as he quickly picked him up which caused the young Prince to squeal. "emagon ao issare sȳz naejot aōha muña/have you been good to your mother" Daemon asked, High Valyrian rolling off his tongue, but he had not realised if Aegon spoke it or not.