eleven

WINTER'S FLAME

⎯WINTER'S FLAME

❇︎❇︎❇︎

The King had requested a dinner for the House of the Dragon, all—even the young prince and princess—sat at the table. Next to the King sat his lawful, in the eyes of the Seven, wife, Queen Marya with her young children Aegon and Helaena on her otherside, and on the King's otherside sat Princess Rhaenyra with the Hand of the King on her other side. Prince Daemon, who had also been invited had sat next to Helaena as he was able to look at everyone.

"The wedding shall be in a fortnight, to unite House Velaryon and House Targaryen once more" Viserys said. "A fortnight? But my King, that is far too soon, not all the guests would make it in time" Marya said, wanting to test a theory. "Surely we can wait another month or so" Marya said looking at the King who looked slightly uneasy as he looked at Rhaenyra first before turning to his wife. "It will be quite alright, my dear, those who can attend within a fortnight have been invited, those who cannot have not been" the King spoke.

Marya looked at him. "You mean the North? You mean my kin?" she asked as she looked at him which caused silence across the table. "It's a unification of Velaryon and Targaryen, I do not see why the North need be present" Viserys said trying to let the conversation die, but then he clearly did not know Marya who looked like a storm was brewing in her eyes. "My brother is new appointed Lord of Winterfell, and Aegon and Helaena are still half Stark" Marya said, she never called them Viserys children always managed to evade the topic, but she did not lie whenever she spoke of her children. "They ride dragons and have direwolves by their side, but you don't think kin of their own mother is welcome at the wedding everyone else is invited to?" Marya said.

"Dorne has not been invited either" Viserys said, too lighthearted for her taste. "Then we shall pray to the Gods the North and Dorne do not take it as insult" Marya said before she stood up from the table as she ushered her children with her, not excusing herself as she left the room to prepare her children for bed.

She placed the children in their beds before she walked towards her own chambers where she was met with Otto Hightower. "My Lord Hand" Marya said as she looked at him. She was not too fund of the man, but he wasn't fond of her either. However, she did fit his ambition. He—like some other Lords of the Seven Kingdoms—had enough of the Targaryens acting higher than the Seven, with their customs and their dragons, the more was made sure they married other houses the better in his opinion. So, when King Viserys wed into House Stark, the children would also be part Northern, fuelling his plans to overthrow the Targaryens one day.

"My Queen" Otto said standing to his feet, he was much taller than the Queen had been as she looked up at him. "For what reason do I find you in my chambers, my Lord" she asked as she placed herself on her chair as she looked at the Hand. "I came to offer my apologies for the treatment of your family, Your Grace" he said but the way he said it, Marya could tell he had been scheming. Marya held her head high. "You have not come here for that, tell me your true purpose" she said as she nodded at the chair, he previously occupied.