twenty.

WINTER'S FLAME

⎯WINTER'S FLAME

✵✵✵

In the morrow Rhaenyra and her two eldest dark-haired children, Jacaerys and Lucerys, stood with her before the Iron Throne, as Vaemond and Rhaenys stood on the other side, with Daemon and Marya towards the middle as they looked at Otto Hightower who had appointed himself the Regent of the Realm while the King had been too weak.

"Today the Crown will hold two petitions, that for Driftmark and that for Dragonstone. First, we shall discuss Driftmark, the Crown will first hear ser Vaemond of House Velaryon" Otto said before he sat down. Aegon stood with his mother as Aemond stood with his father, watching the man as Helaena and Visenya stood behind them, Daeron had been in Winterfell still and while he visited as often as he could, Marya knew he was too fond of the cold to fly down for the petitions, and she had not blamed him.

"Thank you, my Lord Hand" Vaemond said as he turned towards the Hand bowing his head slightly. "Before the Doom, House Velaryon and House Targaryen lived as nobility in Valyria, and when the Doom brought us here, House Velaryon built itself up from the ground, we made ourselves who we are today" Vaemond started as he looked at the Hand. "My brother, may he recover soon, was a fool to appoint a child to the rightful place as Heir of the Driftwood throne, our blood is old, true and brave Valryian blood" Vaemond started, "it survived the Doom, and a thousand tribulations after" he continued.

"If you cared so much for your bloodline, you would not take it from its rightful heir, no, you care only for yourself" Rhaenyra interrupted. "You will have to chance to speak, Princess Rhaenyra, do ser Vaemond the curtesy of allowing his to be heard, without interruptions" Otto Hightower said as he looked down on Rhaenyra who scoffed. Marya watched the Princess, clearly the spoiled little girl had still been in there, perhaps that had been most Targaryens, she saw it in Daemon too, the belief they stood above everyone else because they had been Godlike.

"What would you even know of Velaryon blood, yours has thinned out ages ago, and you have disrespected the others" Vaemond said as he looked at Rhaenyra before looking at her children. "Those are not Velaryons, I know it, you know it, the whole Realm knows it" ser Vaemond said as he looked at Rhaenyra. "You and your bastards will not inherit what is rightfully mine" he said as he turned back to Otto. "I will not let my house die, by the likes of her" he said before he bowed his head and took his place back.

"Princess Rhaenyra, you may now speak" Otto said as Rhaenyra stepped forward, her hand on her swollen belly as she held her head high. "I would like to remind the court, that nearly twenty years ago now, I wed ser Laenor Velaryon, may the Gods keep his soul" she said as she kept her head high. "And that his trueborn sons, Jacaerys, Lucerys and Joffrey have each set to inherit the legacy of their parents. Prince Lucerys was chosen as the Heir of Driftmark not only by Lord Corlys himself, but ser Laenor as well, he wished to see our son Lucerys succeed him" Rhaenyra started as she looked at Otto.