chapter 22

dumbfounded by this sudden show of power all I could bring myself to do was to stare wordlessly at my hands.

"this is just some kind of like special rock wall r-right?" I said hopefully yearning for the confusion to come to a stop.

"No (Y/N)" he said hacking a piece away with his sword and palming one of the chunks that fell off "this is just regular old nightosphere stone." he tossed me the chunk which I miraculously managed to catch despite my distracted demeanour. As soon as the stone came into contact with my hand it bubbled and in its place a clump of moss now squelching around in my grasp.

I shook my head firmly "It D-doesn't matter. We've got bigger priorities to deal with right now" Steeling myself I stepped out from behind the wall my face scrunched up into a determined expression. I heard the patter of feet on stone hurriedly following me. Internally I had a tsunami of doubt and fear wreaking havoc on my insides and if I didn't have an ungodly level of adrenaline forcing my legs to move me forward I'd be puking in a corner somewhere. But on the upside with my heart not working for a while it was nice to know that everything else still was.

mere steps away from me was a pair of towering crimson red doors coming to a jagged point at the top. I noted a door knob but it was about 50 feet up causing me to grimace at the thought of his hideously enormous form.

"No guards?" I queried to the boys

"he doesn't need guards" they said gravely in unison taking the lead ahead of me

"Jake, the door" Finn said and Jake immediately began stretching up and wrapping a comically large hand around the handle and heaving it down until a heavy click sounded and it began slowly rumbling open.

"you know I could have just floated up there right?" I grumbled not enjoying the helpless damsel feeling

"What and turned the handle into a tree?" Finn joked laughing away but quickly stopped when he matched my narrowed eyes "Okay noted" he mumbled before taking his leave and entering the doorway.

As I walked in the heavy air that we'd been breathing became nearly unbearable. there was an incredible heat poisoning the atmosphere and movement felt like walking through water.

"well he's definitely here" Jake said through his hand that he used to protect his mouth and nose from the terrible air.

"How do you know?" I asked incredulously taking pained steps forward. before me a crimson throne room with elegant decorations surrounding me. A row of pillars led to a frankly embarrassing amount of stairs topped by a jagged rock form throne

He seemed to contently hum along in the way that only jake could given the gravitas of our current situation and commenced his answer.

"Oh yknow the foul stench of decay, The general feeling of dread and.." the dogs already large eyes widened and began to tremble slightly as simultaneously he shot his hand out pointing a solitary finger just behind me

"And the fact he's right behind you!" he exclaimed and I immediately felt my heart shoot into my throat and whipped my head around to face the Grinning demon Lord who loomed heavily over me, his yellow teeth casting a putrid smell in my direction. Before I could form a thought, let alone some words, I saw his enormous hand swinging down to squish me as if i was nothing more than an ant. Thanks to my heightened reflexes I was able to dodge out of the way with but a moment to spare sending myself sprawling onto the floor with a heavy thud

I flipped around and stared daggers at him as he rose fully to his feet revealing his true size. He was in his regular form this time and simply looked like a green hued man in a suit. But his snake like eyes and jagged teeth reminded me of the evil being that lay beneath all the bravado.