PROMISE

I was happy. I was contented. But that was five years ago when I'm still unbroken.

My name is Dennice. I am a lawyer and I worked in a law firm under my name.

Studying in a big university wasn't that easy. Taking a law course was difficult if you're not persistent with your studies. I was rejected and belittled by my family, telling me na hindi ko kakayanin maging abogado kagaya nila. They only believed in my older brother, who topped the bar exam. Pero lahat ng iyon ay kinaya ko because I have him. He's my everything. When I first entered college nandiyan na siya. He's my number one motivator. Kahit sobrang hirap na hirap na akong igipang ang lahat ng mga subjects ko ay nandiyan parin siya para i-cheer ako sa lahat ng bagay. He was an engineering student. 1 year lang ang age gap namin but we managed to graduate together.

I was in the middle of my review for the bar exam that moment when he called me. He was drunk that time. Sa sobrang busy ko sa pagrereview nakalimutan ko siyang kumustahin at napabayaan ko ang relasyon namin.

"H-Hey," his tone was low and cold.

"What happened? Nasaan ka?"

The guilt ate me when I started hearing sobs from the other line. He's crying and I know it's my fault pero wala akong magawa.

"L-Love. I didn't pass," my heart was shattered into pieces. Hearing him crying and breaking like this is killing me. I was supposedly the first person to know pero bakit ako pa ata ang huling taong nakaalam? Shit!

I went to BGC to fetch him. It was around 11 PM and I was literally shaking when I went inside the bar. I saw him at the center of the dance floor dancing with different girls. Agad ko siyang inalalayan para lumabas.

He was too wasted para iuwi ko siya sa bahay nila so I decided to let him stay at my condo. That was the only thing I know I can do for him.

When we arrived at my place, he wasn't that sobber anymore. He managed to walk pero inaalalayan ko parin siya.

Nang makapasok sa loob agad niya akong niyakap nang mahigpit. He cried again.

"I'm sorry for disappointing you. I'm sorry."

I should be the one saying sorry kasi hindi ko siya nasuportahan sa pagrereview niya but he's still the one apologizing for not passing the exam. I was too selfish na nakalimutan kong nandiyan pa pala siya. I was too self-centered. Sarili ko lang inuuna ko. Na nakalimutan ko na nahihirapan din pala siya.

"It's okay. I'm still proud of you no matter what."

He promised me he will be an engineer before I will become an attorney. He promised me that but it didn't happen.

Everything went well after that day. He managed to regain his confidence but I know there's still a part of him that's already been broken. Alam ko kahit hindi niya sabihin at aminin. He still pity himself. He changed without noticing it except for his feelings for me. Mas lalo pa nga niya akong minahal pagkatapos ng pangyayaring iyon. I couldn't ask for more. He's too much for me. I don't think I can survive a day without him. Ganoon ang epekto niya sa'kin.

Nang lumabas na ang result ng bar exam sinamahan niya ako and luckily I passed. Akala ko magiging okay na ang lahat after that pero hindi pa pala.

I was given an opportunity to build my own law firm outside the Philippines. My parents was really proud knowing that I'm building my own name now. I was really happy but then I remembered him. Maiiwan ko siya.

"Aalis na 'ko next week." Kitang-kita sa mga mata niya ang gulat.

"What the fuck?! Bakit ngayon mo lang sinabi?"

"Natatakot ako. Kasi alam kong hindi ka papayag."

"Fuck that! I was there when you almost got nothing! Why do I feel so worthless with you? Wala na ba kong karapatan na malaman anong nangyayari sa'yo? Hindi na ba ako kasali sa mundo mo?"

He was begging so bad for me to stay but I still chose my dreams even if I know I would lose him. Yes, umalis ako sa Pilipinas para manirahan sa LA. I almost got everything. I am successful but I am not happy. It was more than 5 years but the pain I've caused myself is still fresh. Hanggang ngayon nagsisisi parin ako sa pag-iwan ko sa kaniya. I should've waited. I should've stayed.

On December 21st I was called by my dad to handle a big case in the Philippines. This case was nothing compared to all the cases I've handled before. I needed to go back at the Philippines. I was given no choice kahit ayaw ko nang bumalik.

Today, I'm here at my dad's old office waiting for my big client. I am sipping a cup of coffee when my secretary entered my office.

"Atty. Nandiyan na po ang client."

Napaupo ako ng maayos at hinintay ang pagpasok niya.

"Good morning Atty," he greeted.

I almost lost my composure when I saw the man I left five years ago standing in front of me.

"I'm Engineer Gomez and I have a case filed against you."

My eyes widened with his statement.

"Atty. you don't have the right to remain silent because I need your answer now or else you will be jailed for the rest of your life."

Natameme ako. I was too speechless and shocked to utter a word.

"Marry me Atty," he said.

I felt my tears slowly ruining my mascara when I saw a ring on his hand.

I didn't expect he would be back after what I did to him. Tama nga talaga 'yong sinabi nila, kung kayo, kayo talaga.

"I am now an Engineer. I promised you that I will marry you no matter what happened. I didn't say that promise for nothing. So Atty. would you take the case I filed against you and be jailed inside my heart for the rest of your life?"

I managed to smile at him and nodded as an answer.

I thought I made the wrong decision for choosing my dream instead of him. Choosing my dream made me realized that I can't be the person who I am now without him. He made me whole. He was the reason why I am the best version of myself now. He's my everything and now he's finally back fulfilling his promise to marry me.