Forever and Always

"'Cause it seems to me, this thing is breaking down, we almost never speak. I don't feel welcome anymore..."

"He's just through that corridor," the guard informs you three, pointing down to the small door that lead to the room that contained the man you only knew by reputation as the catalyst to the massive rift that tore your family apart.

"Just give us a second," Sam tells the guard.

The guard nods, walking away without another word.

"Okay, well, I'm gonna go talk to him," you inform Bucky and Sam, jutting your thumb in the direction of the door.

Sam reaches out, careful to grab your uninjured arm to pull you back to the two of them, "Absolutely not."

"Not a chance," Bucky agrees.

"Of course, this you two can agree on," you scoff, rolling your eyes. "It should be me."

"No, it really shouldn't."

"And why not?" you demand.

"Because it's Zemo," Sam forcefully states. "A very dangerous, very manipulative man."

"Like I'm going to fall for anything he says," you guffaw, a little insulted by Sam's lack of trust in you. "Despite what you may think, I'm not an idiot."

"You know I didn't mean it like that," Sam mutters, the edge in his voice dropping to something that sounds vaguely apologetic.

"Didn't you though?" you retort.

"You know what?" Sam deeply exhales. "We can talk about this later, because you're still not going in there."

"It should be me. It's me they're trying to replicate," you insist.

"I'll go. I'll talk to him and see what he knows," Sam offers.

"No, I need to do this. He could have answers for me," you continue.

"Well, hold on a second, I think I should be the one going in," Bucky interjects. "I have the most experience with Zemo. And either way, you two were Avengers, you know how he feels about that."

"Well, technically, I was never an Avenger," you wryly point out.

Bucky snorts, rolling his eyes, "You lived on the Avengers Compound. I don't think he's going to change his mind on a technicality."

"It's not like you two were known for frolicking in the sun together," Sam counters. "If I remember correctly, he's not that big a fan of super soldiers either."

"He was obsessed with HYDRA," Bucky doubles down. "We have history together. Trust me, I got it."

"No, you don't got it," Sam quips.

"Well, it's either going to be me or you," Bucky counters.

"So it should be me!"

As the two of them omit you from the conversation entirely, you take a few silent steps backward, slowly moving away from the conversation and closer to the door the guard just pointed to.

You slowly shuffle backward, keeping your eyes forward as the two of them bicker back and forth.

With just a few steps, you see the door in your peripheral, You reach for the small buzzer and quip to the two of them, finally interrupting their banter, "Okay, great, while you two figure that out, I'll be right back."

The two of them break away from their hushed argument to the sight of you already by the door being buzzed in.

Before either of them can say a word, you dismissively wave your hand at them, "Don't worry, you can talk to him after me."