The Other Side Of The Door

"And I'll scream out the window, I can't even look at you, I don't need you but I do, I do, I do..."

"I heard what became of Sokovia," Zemo states, breaking the silence that had weighed on your group since the plane. "Cannibalized by its neighbors before the land was cleared of rubble. Erased from the map. But I don't suppose any of you bothered visiting the memorial?"

"I did," you correct.

Sam cranes his neck to try to get you to look at him. "What? When?"

You ignore Sam's question, instead pointing to your remark to answer Zemo's question, "I went with Wanda, she's Sokovian. Her brother died during the battle."

Zemo smiles at you, "You continue to surprise me."

"I'll take that as a compliment," you half-heartedly quip, the mental and emotional exhaustion weighing down each and every step you take.

"We are here," Zemo states, gesturing to the building on the other side of the cobblestone road.

"Great," you sigh with a semi-relieved smile, glad to be able to get at least some semblance of separation from both Sam and Bucky.

You climb up the first step leading to the building when Bucky unexpectedly says, "I'm gonna go on a walk."

"You okay?" Sam asks from right behind you.

"Yeah," Bucky assures him. "See you guys in a bit. Try not to kill each other."

Zemo clutches his chest, responding with an indignant scoff, "I wouldn't dream of it."

"Yeah, surprisingly, I wasn't talking about you," Bucky amends, pointedly looking at you and Sam.

You roll your eyes, turning back toward the entrance. Faced away from Bucky, you grumble under your breath, "Well, I make no promises."

"I heard that," Bucky calls back to you.

"Still make no promises," you mumble, dropping your voice even lower.

"Still heard that," Bucky calls again.

"Bye, Bucky!" you shout over your shoulder, pushing the door open before he can respond again.

As the first through the door, you drop your bag near the armrest of the couch leaving only enough room for you to sit between your bag and the armrest. You flop down on the couch with a frustrated huff.

"Hey," Sam tries. You deeply sigh, looking up at the tiled ceiling as something else to focus on other than Sam's incessant attempts at getting you to talk to him. "Come on. You're really not going to say anything?"

Sam's question goes without a response. This time you shut your eyes, resting your uninjured arm over your face.

"Seriously?"

You lift your head, creaking one eye open to look at where Zemo is currently sitting on the other side of the couch watching this entire argument play out. "I'm sorry, Zemo, did you say something?"

"Real mature," Sam scoffs, striding over to where you sit on the couch. "I would just like to remind you that you lied first."

You furrow your face as you do a quick scan of the room, pretending like you can't see Sam standing in front of you. With a soft hum, you shrug, "Must be the wind."

"You're really going to do this in front of Zemo?"

"Please," Zemo assures, raising his hand to brush Sam's concern off. "Even I can understand a familial fight."

"I don't know what you're talking about, Zemo. There's no one that I'm fighting with," you sharply remark, glaring at Sam.

"Fine," Sam huffs. "Two can play at this game."