It's Time To Go

"That old familiar body ache, the snaps from the same little breaks in your soul, you know when it's time to go..."

Cold.

That's the first sensation you register after it all went dark. You're cold. Not a shivering cold. It doesn't hurt. You don't seek warmth.

You're just... cold.

Adrift.

There's a peace in the feeling. There's no one in need of saving. No danger lurking around the corner. For the first time in your life, there's no fight. No battle to be won.

You don't have to keep clawing your way to the surface. You're just adrift, floating in a vast, unending void.

There's just nothing.

You can't bring yourself to open your eyes. It's like a sleep you know you won't wake up from.

The second sensation you register is a slight warmth, like a light dancing over your skin, warming you from the inside out.

The warmth laps at you, cascading over you until you're finally warm again. It doesn't stop there.

The light burns brighter.

Brighter.

Brighter.

Even when you think it can't get any brighter, it does.

But it never hurts. It doesn't sting.

You don't feel like an Icarus, flying too close to the Sun.

You feel like you're being pulled back into the sunlight after being lost in the depths of a raging sea.

Your eyelids feel cemented shut. The light seeps through your eyelids until your curiosity gets the best of you.

You creak a bleary eye open, readying yourself for the pain that will inevitably come when you attempt to sit up.

Only, it doesn't.

You feel better than you have in years. The unbearable ache of grief is gone. The searing pain is gone. You gasp for air and it doesn't hurt. Your broken heart almost feels mended.

You sit up to find yourself back in the Compound, the common room, just like it was when it stood tall.

You frantically look around, sitting on the hardwood floor. Your mind races as you try to process everything happening all at once. One moment, you're slipping away into a restful slumber. The next, you're perfectly fine, sitting in a place that you'd seen reduced to rubble.

A familiar silhouette in your peripheral catches your eye in your frenzy. Your head quirks as you squint at the figure staring out the window, "Tony?"

Tony slowly turns, his eyes grazing over the common room of the Avengers Compound, hands crossed over his chest and lips pursed in distaste, "Are you kidding me? Out of all the places your consciousness could've dreamt up, you picked here?"

"Sorry."

"I'm just saying, you could've been a little more creative." He shakes his head, rolling his eyes before walking over to you. He extends a hand to you, helping you stand up off the floor, "What are you doing here, Pinkie Pie?"

Your eyebrows pull together as you try to recall the events that led you back here.

It all gets blurry after Sam found you bleeding out. It feels hazy. Like little flashes of your life slipping away. Sam scooping you up. Bucky crouching down beside you. A tear streaming down his cheek. Sirens. You remember sirens. Lots of them. Blaring. Screeching in the background. You can't help but wonder what happened afterward.