Innocent

"Wasn't it beautiful when you believed in everything? And everybody believed in you?"

You and Sam stand perched over a large balcony, watching Karli speak at Donya's memorial service, "I don't remember my mother or father. Same goes for siblings, cousins, grandparents. What I do remember is being alone. Worse than being hungry or cold or scared, I was alone. Until Mama Donya. Like a lot of you here, Mama Donya saved me. She clothed me, fed me, loved me."

You find yourself resonating with Karli's words quite a bit. You'd never forgotten the first person that had ever shown you kindness. Your caretaker was that person for you.

Caged like an animal for the first 25 years of your life, trapped in a world that existed within the confines of 4 concrete walls, she showed you that good existed even in the bleakest of circumstances, that good was a choice and it was never too late to make it.

She was also the first person in what would turn out to be a massive list of people that would leave you. You knew that wasn't entirely fair, she was killed because of the kindness she'd shown you after all.

After her death, you vowed to always make that choice. To choose to see the good in the world. To be the brightness that she was for you. To be the good where you didn't see any.

If only you'd known then what you know now.

You feel for Karli. You find yourself connecting to her without even knowing her yet.

Losing, losing in a way that you know she had, it one of the hardest things a person could suffer. And while you still wanted to live by your caretaker's message, you also know how easy it is to lose yourself in the grief, to let yourself die with your loved ones.

You want to walk down the steps, to look her in the eye and tell her that it's never too late.

Karli's eyes flicker up to the open window in that moment, not to see you and Sam bombarding the memorial service, not an attack in sight, no discernible sign of threat, but to you and Sam quietly standing in front of the balcony window, watching the service.

She hands over the child in her arms to another woman, and continues speaking more pointedly, "She taught me that we have to do for each other, because they won't. And we know who they are. They impose struggle and hardship on us. Then labeled us as criminals for pushing back, but the struggle is what brings us all together. People who have nothing in common. For we are, after all, simply one world and one people."

She looks up at the two of you, now clearly speaking to you and Sam, "So live accordingly."

The minutes lull as each solemn mourner rests flowers on the body surrounded by candles and small remembrances. The memorial comes to a quiet close as people slowly trickle out of the room, leaving Karli alone.

Karli's shoulders stiffen at the sound of you and Sam entering the room. Her hands defensively curl, poising herself for an attack. "I saw you back there."

"It's easier if you have open hands," you unexpectedly offer from the doorway.

She falters at the advice. She turns to you, an angry, furrowed look on her face. "And why would I listen to you?"

You shrug. "Try it."

Her palm raises toward the ceiling, a small, well-rounded flame emerging in her hand. Her eyes questioningly flicker back up to you.

The corner of your mouth slightly pulls up as you take a single step into the room. "I just wanted to meet you."

"Bold of you," she commends.

"I'm sorry for your loss," Sam offers, taking a step behind you.

She scowls, "Don't condescend to me. I'm not a child."