The Story of Us

"I'm dying to know, is it killing you like it's killing me? I don't know what to say since the twist of fate when it all broke down and the story of us looks a lot like a tragedy now..."

John looks up from the screen, facing the security guard, "You said that Sam and Bucky were here on the day this happened?"

The guard quickly nods. "Yes. Along with a woman."

"Do you have the woman's name?"

The guard frantically nods again, looking back at his screen to the visitor's log. "Regina Phalange."

Lemar covers his mouth, attempting to stifle the chuckle that leaves his mouth. John grimaces, his gaze hardening at the guard. "Regina Phalange? Like from Friends?"

The guard winces, stammering, "She said it was french. You don't think they had anything to do with this, do you?"

"Let's go," John mutters, tapping the counter as he pushes his weight off the desk. John turns back offering a halfhearted smile, "Thank you, sir."

John and Lemar walk down the prison hall, away from the guard's station in search of anything else they could find about Zemo's escape from prison.

And the mysterious woman that they couldn't stop hearing about.

"What?" Lemar questions, trying to break the pensive expression on John's face. "Come on, John. You don't seriously think that Sam and Bucky would've broken a guy like Zemo out of prison. Last we checked, they hated the guy as much as the next person."

"And an unknown female," John hisses. "It's not like they aren't hiding things from us already."

"Not wanting to work with us is not the same as hiding things, John. You can't let that get to you."

"Lemar," John imploringly states. "I think that's exactly what they did. They were as desperate for leads as we were. It makes perfect sense."

"You know as well as I do that you can't accuse them of something like that with out a hell of a lot of evidence to back it up."

"And what about the woman? That just happened to be here too? There's a reason we've never met this lady, Lemar," John doubles down. "They're hiding something. They're hiding her."

"Maybe she's shy," Lemar offers, desperate to talk John off of the ledge he just kept wanting to leap off of.

"Or maybe she's exactly the person we've been looking for. Think about it, there's a reason they used an alias."

"Regina Phalange is hardly an alias, John. Anyone with access to Google could figure that one out. And if they were really trying to hide her, why would they bring her here?"

"I don't know," John admits, his voice pensive and detached as he mulls over their next move. "Which is why you and I are just gonna run with this for a minute."

"John," Lemar implores. "Think about this. Really think about this."

"Do you trust me?"

Lemar sighs, his shoulders reluctantly slumping in defeat. "You know I do."

"She's dangerous, Lemar," John states. "And look at what happened here, it's already chaos."

"You're right," Lemar agrees. "So I guess what happens next isn't a strictly on the books type thing, is it?"

John rests a comforting hand on Lemar's shoulder. "If we get this done, you really think they're going to sweat us on the how?"

"Guess not."