Style

"And I should just tell you to leave 'cause I know exactly where it leads, but I watch us go 'round and 'round each time..."

"Oh my God, it's like watching Bambi learn how to walk again," Sam teasingly quips, watching as you stumble once more.

"Thanks for that Sam," you angrily huff.

"You're welcome," Sam sarcastically retorts.

You continue walking, ignoring Sam as you try to keep pace with the three of them.

You briefly wonder how Natasha made it seem so effortless, though you have to reconcile, Natasha Romanoff made every thing seem effortless.

You've spent months trying not to fixate on the laundry list of people who'd left, of their own volition or not. But especially your fallen friends, there was no point, you told yourself over and over.

They were gone. You couldn't bring them back.

But you do wonder what sage nuggets of wisdom she'd impart for your current situation.

She was one of those people who seemingly had a solution to everything, even when you found yourselves on different sides of the Avenger's infamous Civil War.

She warned you that nothing good would come from taking sides. She also told you nothing good would come from handing yourself over to General Ross.

It was one of the biggest regrets of your life, how you'd left things, how you, like everyone else, fell on one side, one right behind the other.

And yet, it wasn't a regret you could quantify. In reality, there was very little you would've done differently, but you so desperately wished it had played out differently.

-

"As much as I hate to admit it, if we're going to win this one, some of us are going to have to lose."

Sam looks at you, a pleading expression on his face. You know he's asking you to make a quiet escape, to leave while you still have the chance. He also knows you won't do that, you've never been one to stand aside when you could help.

You offer him a crooked smile and a languid shrug, letting him know you're ready and willing to accept the consequences of your actions today. Whatever they would end up being for you.

"They're headed for the Quinjet," Tony informs Rhodey.

Before he can take off to stop Steve and Bucky, you catch the foot of Tony's suit, pulling the metal suit back to the ground against all the force of his propellers to keep him grounded.

"What the-?" he starts, his sarcastic tone dropping when he sees you standing there, maintaining an invisible grip on him. He deeply breathes, "Sam really just can't keep you out of it, can he?"

"I don't want to fight you, Tony," you implore.

"You don't know what you're doing. There's nothing that hasn't been done that can't be fixed but you're about to cross a line, Pinkie."

"Then don't draw one. We don't have to do this, we don't have to pick sides."

He gestures to you, pinning him to the ground, "A little too late for that, don't you think?"

"I'm not choosing anything."

"What? You think because he's easy on the eyes he's not a cold-blooded murderer? Because he flashed you a smile, he won't kill you the first chance he gets?"

You wince at the coldness of Tony's words. "I just want to do what's right. That's all I want."

He scoffs, "By protecting a murder? Or because you only listen to Sam says?"