Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Lizzie's POV

"What the hell Jack, why the f*ck would you tell her" Aiden's voice booms, it reverberates through the house that it startles Lizzie, stirring her from her sleep. She slowly blinks as she rubs her eyes. She couldn't believe that she'd fallen asleep.

Rolling over, she grabs her phone from Aiden's night stand. She squints at the light before her, trying to register the numbers on the screen as her eyes widen at the time. 

Without wasting a second, she quickly sends a text off to her parents apologising for not telling them about her whereabouts and informing that she'll be home after dress shopping.

She'd make another excuse this week for when she'd actually need to go dress shopping.

"Because she asked" Jack snarls back

At the sound of Jack's voice, Lizzie quickly recalls Aiden's furious tone only moment ago. She slowly crawls out of bed and carefully approaches her door. Thankfully it was open a crack wide allowing her to clearly hear the conversation below.  

"So you thought it was a good idea to scare her, now she'll never feel safe"

A sense of relief washes over Lizzie as she hears Aiden's voice again, he'd safely returned home.

"And you think it's better to keep her in the dark? If she's your mate shouldn't you be trusting her with information"

"Are you questioning my judgement" Aiden asks

Jack pauses for a moment and Lizzie can almost feel his alpha authority rippling through the house. Lizzie almost feels the urge to submit to him.

"My role is to keep her safe, not-"

Aiden pauses as Lizzie leans too much on her door,  it loudly creaks open, announcing her presence. Heat floods through her check as she tentatively takes a step out hoping that Aiden and Jack were too focused on their conversation to acknowledge the creaking door.

Lizzie reaches the end of the hallway as she peers over the railing. To her complete embarrassment  both Jack and Aiden were staring up at her.

"Sorry I didn't mean to interrupt" Lizzie says

Jack only rolls his eyes earning him a glare from Aiden before he looks up at her a small smile on his lips.

"I'm sorry we woke you" Aiden apologises, running a hand through his ruffled hair, taming it. Dirt coated his arms and legs and he had a vicious scratch along his left arm but it appeared to be healing quickly.

"It's not entirely Jack's fault, I wanted to know more about the rogue attacks".  Lizzie explains, hoping to shift some of the heat directed towards Jack.

Aiden's turns towards Jack before looking back at Lizzie, appearing conflicted,

"I understand but it's my role to tell you things"

"Were you going to tell me?"

Aiden hesitates for a moment, "Yes of course"

Lizzie knew in that moment of hesitation that Aiden had never planned on telling her, would've happily kept her in small protected bubble.

"It's probably safe for me to go back home now" Lizzie suggests, knowing there was little point in staying if Aiden was going to soothe her anxiety by feeding her lies.

"Wait, we should talk" Aiden says racing up the stairs, he throws Jack a look as if to indicate that they would resume their conversation later.

Aiden gives Lizzie little time to consider his request as he guides her back to his bedroom, he pauses as he steps into the room, taking a deep breath.