Chapter 43

Chapter 43

Lizzie's POV

Lizzie's heart rate had finally begun to settle into a normal rhythm as she approached Everdale. The roads had been quiet since passing through Wiltershire, the night sky quickly creeping in, leaving Lizzie alone on the open road with only her headlights to guide her.

She was thankful that her parents had filled the car recently with fuel, with everything she had learnt since arriving in Norhaven she knew there were worse things than creepy old men approaching her car during a break down.

Despite the distance that had passed, Lizzie could not remove the image of Aiden's wolf being tackled to the ground as he attempts to stop her. She told herself over and over again that this was the right decision.

She knew if she listened to Aiden's apologies, she'd eventually have given in to his pleads and words of forgiveness and things would have resolved. But Lizzie couldn't ignore the sinking feeling in her stomach that Aiden would eventually tire of her and seek out Jasmine.

It baffled Lizzie that Aiden would risk war to follow her into Everdale territory. His actions this evening had indicated that he wanted Jasmine. Lizzie would just be the human who'd make the pack stronger.

She didn't want to be used like that, Aiden had shown her no loyalty therefore she didn't need to show loyalty to the Norhaven pack.

She wanted to feel loved and cherished, instead of being in a relationship where she would constantly need to discern what was truths versus lies.

In the glow of the headlights, Lizzie reads the billboard 'Entering Everdale' and relief settles into her body. She had made it.

She was safe.

Knowing the route to Henry's house like it was on the back of her hand, Lizzie passes by the familiar houses and landmarks. She selfishly wished that her Father had never been offered the new job in Norhaven.

Since arriving it had been nothing but one headache after another. She knew this trip to Everdale was only pushing back another headache when she eventually returned.

If she returned, maybe Henry would find a way for her to stay with him. However Lizzie can't help the unease that creeps into her mind as she passes by her old house only a few minutes from Henry's.

Despite Aiden cheating on Lizzie, they were still technically enemies.

Maybe Henry wouldn't care that Aiden cheated, but Lizzie had ignored his request to stay away from Aiden and everyone else, maybe he would use Lizzie as bait to get Aiden to surrender his pack.

Lizzie shook her head trying to dispel the rising panic.

Henry cared for her, he even admitted he loved her. But with everything that had happened recently Lizzie couldn't ignore the doubt which loomed at the back of her mind.

Lizzie slowly pull the car into Henry's driveway. Putting it into park she takes a deep breath in and out. She had made the right decision.

Movement catches the corner of her eye and she looks out to find Henry running towards her car.

He opens the car door frantically before Lizzie has a chance to pull the handle.

"What are you doing here, are you okay" Henry asks alarmed as his eyes do a quick assessment of her.

Guilt begins to surface at Henry's stressed appearance, she should've pulled over and called him when she was safely out of Everdale.

"I'm okay" Lizzie says as she hops out of the car the weight of her decision finally bearing down on her.