Chapter 14

Kat's POV

"Lizzie, Lizzie" Kat murmurs, she was sitting in the back seat of Donovan's car, trying to get a response.

Her heart skipped a beat as she glanced at the time on the dashboard, again, it'd been ten minutes since Lizzie fainted at school. If they waited any longer, there was the risk of brain damage.

She lets loose a heavy sigh as she stared at Jack pointedly, before flicking her eyes quickly back to Lizzie.

She knew Lizzie needed to rest at the pack house, this stomach pain was Aiden's fault, and she needed to be overseen by the pack healer.

Instead, they were parked in front of her house, waiting for her to wake up. If anything happened to her, accepted mate or not, Aiden would have their heads.

Jack had muttered some excuse about Lizzie being more comfortable at home.

Bullshit, she had muttered to herself.

However she knew the truth, he didn't want Everdale filth residing in the pack house. She wanted to roll her eyes at the stupidity but Kat knew it would take him the longest to accept Lizzie as an ally and more importantly a friend.

She was just shocked that Aiden had willingly caused her this pain. She knew he disliked her, but she didn't realise his hatred for her was rooted so deep.

Kat grinds her teeth together, she was going to murder her brother once he arrived home.

The tension in the car dissipates as Lizzie eyes blink open.

She twists around, confusion written across her pale face as her eyes dart between the three of them. 

"What happened" she rasps, her voice still weak from exhaustion.

It was terrifying Kat thought, how powerful the mate bond was and how easily it had affected Lizzie. Despite being human, she'd still experienced the pain of Aiden's indiscretion.

"You fainted Lizzie, at school. Don't you remember?"

Kat watches as Lizzie grimaces her memories returning to her. Her hand wraps protectively around her stomach and Kat prays her pain had disappeared.

Her hand clenches as her  nails bite into her skin. When she arrived home, she was going to start by scratching his eyes out and...

"How long was I out for?" Lizzie asks interrupting her train of thought.

Kat plasters a warm reassuring smile as she answers,

"Not very long, around 10 minutes"

She grabs Kat's hand reassuringly, her palms cold and clammy. "I'm fine guys. Honestly it was probably just some early period pain. I'm not worried"

Kat wanted to sigh, Lizzie was a terrible liar.

Silence descended on the car, Jack had returned to his dark and brooding self. Since she was okay, he wanted her nowhere near him.

"You can come back to our place if you want" Kat asks, breaking the silence. She hopes Lizzie said yes. She needed to see a pack doctor, just to ensure that she was 100% okay

Kat ignores the glare that Jack sends her through the review mirror, her attention focused solely on Lizzie.

"I'll be fine Kat, all I'm going to do is lay in bed for the rest of the afternoon". She pulls herself up, opening the car door. "I'll see you tomorrow, thanks for the lift"

She hops out, swaying on her feet slightly. Kat resists the urge to bring her back to the car.

Lizzie turns around as Jack turns the ignition on,
"Are you going to ditch me as a friend eventually". Her voice was soft yet her eyes held a level of confidence, highlighting Lizzie's self-esteem. She was the sort of girl who could hold her own.

"Never" Kat promises. She watches as Lizzie smiles but it doesn't quite reach her eyes.

...

Lizzie's POV

As the car turns the corner, Lizzie lets loose a heavy sigh as she allows her shoulders to slump, letting her body be overcome by exhaustion. She barely manages to drag her exhausted self to the front door. 

Her mind swirls with different possibilities as to why her stomach had suddenly exploded in fiery pain this afternoon.

The house was dark as she entered, the only light creeping through slits in the blinds. 

Groaning, she trudges up the staircase, wishing for once that her bedroom was on the ground floor. She doesn't bother changing, collapsing face first onto her bed. She wouldn't be able to keep this from Henry, somehow he would know something was up, he always did. 

Lizzie sighs, realising that if she was going to tell Henry about this she might as well reveal everything that was happening at school.

...

Aiden's POV

The rejection still plagued Aiden's mind as he stormed out of the change-room and into the hallway. One glance at his watch, revealed that everyone was on their way home. 

His wolf was snarling at him, acting like an annoyed child in the corner of his mind. Aiden ignored him, he needed a distraction, something to clear his mind of the events that occurred this afternoon. 

He eyed the lockers but destruction to school property was not maintaining a low profile. He felt like a run, but one glance at his wolf and he knew not to even try. 

The clever option was to head home and spar with one of the wolves. He grits his teeth as he scans the hallways, the urge to shift now and sprint through the forest,  was becoming too irresistible.  He just wanted to run away from his problems momentarily. 

He sighs as his forehead connects with the tin locker, the sound ricocheting off the walls. Why did his life need to be so difficult, why couldn't the moon goddess have granted him a she-wolf instead of a human? 

"Thought you might want me" A feminine voice purrs.

Aiden lifts his head, watching as Jasmine seductively steps towards him. He gulped, eyeing her skimpy clothing that revealed almost everything to him. 

She slowly trails her hands playfully down his chest, he closes his eyes revelling in the feeling before he jumps back in fright as his wolf screams at him. 

"What" she whispers, feigning sadness. "Doesn't Mr Alpha want to play?". 

The challenge was clear as she bites her lip meeting his eyes. 

"We have a mate" His wolf argues as he tries to use his full power to control Aiden.

"She doesn't want us" The sting of rejection still pressed heavily against his heart. Ignoring his wolf, he entwines his fingers with Jasmine as he leads her towards the forest. It was time for a distraction.