Chapter 41

Aiden's POV

"Alpha, she's dead" someone says distantly, Aiden ignores them pressing his mouth again to Jasmine's trying to resuscitate her. All that he was met with was cold lifeless lips but Aiden was determined.

He was their future Alpha, it was his responsibility to protect the pack. It was a weight that burdened him the most in these moments, not that he would ever reveal this. 

His pack watches on around him, creating a protective circle on the football pitch, as Aiden presses his mouth to her blowing air into her lungs.

Pain lances through him as he bends down again, his arms aching the the slice along his cheek, narrowly missing his eye stung, but they had successfully killed every rogue wolf in the attack.

"Aiden" Donovan says placing a hand on his shoulder. "You've done everything you can"

Aiden looks up at his Beta, thankful that he was still standing by his side. For a moment he thought they were going to lose a few of their members.

He couldn't imagine ruling without Donovan and Jack by his side, they were the perfect pair to keep him level headed and balanced each other out perfectly.

But the last thing Aiden wanted to hear was Donovan telling him to stop.

Aiden turns back, wiping away the blood on his cheek  as he begins focusing on the chest compression. He couldn't let her die.

It didn't matter that he wanted to personally murder her a few weeks ago for harming Elizabeth but she never deserved to be kidnapped by enemy rogues because they assumed she was his mate.

When Aiden had entered the field he hadn't expected the rogue wolves to be already waiting for him. The leader grinning manically as he held a knife to Jasmine's neck.

She has been covered in scratches and cuts and Aiden hadn't been able to stop the guilt that seeped into him.

He had never seen her so petrified, her usual tan skin had turned ghostly white as her blue eyes pleaded with him to save her life. For a moment in the field, Aiden could only begin to imagine how he would've reacted if Elizabeth was standing there instead.

His collected demeanor with Jasmine would've changed to complete manic, rushing in to save her without thinking. Following from tonight, patrols would be increased outside of Elizabeth's house. He wanted to convince her to begin staying over at the pack house, but he promised he would take things slow.

Aiden knew that rushing would only cause further problems down the track.

His scouts had informed him that Jasmine was in human form by the edge of the border moments before they ambushed and kidnapped her. She had still been delusional about being his mate and was wearing one his jumpers, which was the reason the rogue wolves assumed she was his mate. 

Aiden scents the pack doctor before he enters the circle crouching next to him.

"I am sorry Alpha but there's nothing more you can do"

"No" Aiden growls continuing the compressions, his hands beating against her chest.

"Look" He says pointing to her fingernails. Aiden turns to see Jasmine's fingers turning an inky blue colour.

Aiden's eyes widen in alarm and he stills momentarily.

"She's been poisoned"

"We didn't see her get poisoned" Jack announces, walking over to study her.