Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Lizzie's POV

The human students quickly disperse from the dance floor as Jack barges onto the floor.  Aiden sends Lizzie a concerned look before turning his attention to Jack.

"What's wrong" Aiden asks, his Alpha authority leaking through his voice as Jack approaches them. The wolves surrounding them seem to pause as they wait for him to report.

The music suddenly slows to a stop as the DJ whispers something about having a small break, before rushing off the dance floor.

Turning to look at the other wolves, she notes that some of them appear to preparing for the possibility of battle, their faces hardening whilst some already loosen their ties.

Lizzie waits for Jack to speaks but she is only met with silence, she turns to Aiden but he's focused on Jack. They were mindlinking. 

"Aiden, what's happening" Lizzie whispers, conscious of the humans still in the school hall. Worry flashes across his face, his eyes dart momentarily to Lizzie before returning to Jack as his faces hardens with anger

"Aiden" Lizzie whispers again she turns to look at Jack but his face was stoic revealing nothing. 

She almost wished that she was mated to Aiden already so she could hear what he was saying.

Donovan growls from behind, frightening Lizzie and sending a fresh wave of panic through her. Anger lines his face as he stares at Jack. Cassandra moves closer to him, attempting to calm him down but even her skin had turned pale, the pink blush now sitting starkly against her cheek.

Without warning , Lizzie jumps as the wolves suddenly turn, storming towards the door.

"Aiden" Lizzie pleads,  alarm bells begin flaring in her mind.

He turns completely disregarding her as he looks at Donovan for a long moment, he doesn't say a word and after a minute Donovan nods before leaning down to give Cassandra a kiss and then heading towards the door with Jack beside him.

"Lizzie" Aiden says, finally turning to look at her, his face devoid of anger but Lizzie can see it simmering just below the surface.

"What's going on" She whispers

He hesitates for a moment and Lizzie reaches out to squeeze his hand.

"Please trust me"

Aiden stares at her for a moment, processing her words.

"Our scouts have just alerted us to group of 50 rogue wolves heading straight towards Norhaven. We don't know what they want or why all fifty of them have banded together"

"They want me" Lizzie says remembering Jack's words from the other day "I'm your weakness"

Aiden growls and Lizzie instinctively takes a step back. Guilt crosses his face immediately and he take a visible breath to calm down, moving closer to Lizzie.

"They aren't coming anywhere near you" Aiden says possessively "You're mine Elizabeth"

He turns to Kat and Cassandra, "Don't let her out of your sight"

"I need to go but I'll be back"

"You promise" Lizzie whispers

"I promise and then we'll spend the rest of the night together" He brings her hands up to his and places a kisses on it before quickly following Jack and Donovan.

Once Aiden leaves the DJ  tentatively returns to the music as the rest of her peers slowly return to the dance floor, leaving her, Kat and Cassandra in the corner of the room. Lizzie stands on the floor as she processes everything, there were now 50 rogue wolves heading towards Norhaven with only one thought to kill her.