CHAPTER XVI: OUR TERM

The year is 1546

The year is 1546. From the tower of the castle, Souma and others see the arrival of the Gran Chaos Empire's army to Van to act as a deterrent to the situation caused by Amidonia's invasion of Elfriden without a declaration of war. Seeing thousands upon thousands of heavily armed soldiers and giant artillery makes anyone seeing it feel the chill to their bones. However, Empire's representative will call for negotiation to address the situation.

"Phew, what a sight to behold" said Souma in amusement. 

"Why are you getting impressed here?" said Liscia in a little bit panicked

Nomura maintains his cool when he sees a giant army outside the castle. But in his mind, a word rings over and over again 

(Nomura's mind) 'SCREWED!! WE ARE TOTALLY GETTING SCREWED!! I never thought that I would be seeing these massive forces fight toe-to-toe with our army. Even several of my invention will have a hard time killing those basterds. If this negotiation went south, we surely are FUCKED!!'

When Alia saw Nomura's poker face, it means he thinks about something deep "(Tapping shoulder) What's wrong?" Alia asked Nomura. 

"No. Nothing (sigh) this is really one of the longest days in my lifetime" Nomura said with a neutral expression that makes Alia confused about what he meant.

"Hakuya. Analysis, please" 

"Yes. Empire's forces of around 55.000 men plus from Amidonia around 5.000 men would be 60.000 men on their side. On our site only around 50.000 men. For numbers, they have the odds. They also brought a griffon army for aerial combat, their squad of greatest mages, and their knights and soldier wore anti-magic black armor. All in all, the Empire has the upper hand" 

Hearing Hakuya's analysis, Souma concluded that his army would be overwhelmed easily by the Empire. Nomura also has the same thought that he is unaware of the strength of the mighty Gran Chaos Empire. But today, he just found that out himself.

"Nomura, what do you think?" 

"(sigh)...to be honest, I'm not sure myself. The number of troops is one thing but their equipment, tactics, alchemy, and other things are still unknown to me. My musket can cause physical damage sure, but I don't know how thick their armor is. My cannons surely can decimate them but again, their tactics would be different than Amidonia or us" 

"(sigh) Even a person like you could feel overwhelmed by them, huh?" 

"Sure is" 

"I guess we have zero chance of winning against them. At least for now" Liscia got spoked by Souma's words and worried "Well then, let's not make them wait".

At the Van castle, the throne room. A representative from Empire Jeanne, the Empress's sister, and a representative from Amidonia, Crown Prince Julius. The purpose of this negotiation is about Amidonia's capital Van and its surrounding territories with Empire as the mediator. Seeing Julius's face again disgusts everyone in the room, especially Souma. Nomura, he has fed up with this snake which he really despises.