CHAPTER XX: PROBLEMATIC

Continental Year 1546

A calm autumn season almost arrives in Parnam City. Time has come and gone easily, except for social reform, construction, and many others. In Parnam castle, Nomura still working to reform the Friedonian armed forces. Since Elfriden assimilates with Amidonia, every aspect of its government, social, economic, and military are merged into one entity: Friedonia. Earlier in the day, Souma invites Nomura for a walk to the slums but he refuses the offer because of the meeting with some military officials. However, he sends Alia to accompany Souma and Liscia into the old slums.

A party of adventurers, a weird one, journeys into the old slums. Roaming the streets and a cold breeze of wind touching their skins indicates the winter season soon coming into the kingdom. In actuality, it's a disguise for Souma and Liscia to look at the condition of the old slums accompanied by Carla, old man Owen, and Alia in disguise. Unfortunately for Souma that he didn't expect Roroa, Juna, Aisha, and Nomura couldn't come with him as they have other important things to do. 

"HAHAHAHA!!! I'm happy when I heard you personally ask me to be your bodyguard, your hi-" Alia elbowed Owen to stop him from talking further "Sir Owen, it would be wise not to call the king by his former title as we concealed our identity and maybe you can call him Souma or Sir instead" 

Owen looked at Alia as Carla seem surprised at how brave Alia is. "Ah!! Yes. My Apologies. Hahaha" Alia sighed in relief and Souma looked at Alia as a way to say 'Thank you' and she nodded in respond

After some time, they arrive at what might look like an old slum town center. Liscia looked around the slums noticing something "This place...is it really where the slums were?" Souma replied "Yes. When we were tackling the city's sanitation problem, we worked hard to renovate this place". Liscia asked further in curious "Is the problem about riding on the main road only and renovating sewers, right? Does renovating slums also included" Souma replied again "Yes it is". 

Souma explains in detail about microorganisms like bacteria that can't be seen with the naked eye and could carry or transmit disease to animals and people alike. Old slums are the exact place for this super small creature could multiply in many for the old slums for its dark and full of stale air. In the slums, the people aren't well fed that too can contribute to their weak immune system and susceptibility to the disease. 

"In this world, you can heal a certain level of injury with light magic, right?" Souma asked Liscia to respond "Yes and if you use it right away, you can even reconnect cut-off limbs as well". Even though it's true, the fact is that Light magic can only boost the current regeneration capability of a person. However, people with low regeneration capability can't be healed with this magic and many people are too reliant on it. So, it's Souma's job to make people aware of this bacteria. 

"But how can you let the people know about the bacteria if you can't see them?" Liscia asked which makes Souma introduce certain people "The three-eyed race is helping us" Liscia was surprised by the name of the race.

Basically, their third eye can see microorganisms that normal eyes can't see. "I didn't expect them to actually lend a hand like that. Since they don't like to make contact with other races..." Souma explains further how the three-eyed race is sensitive around other races regarding their hygiene. This results in them avoiding other races entirely and isolating them. They already know most of the sicknesses caused by bacteria can't be healed by light magic alone. In their right sense, they tried to warn people about it and some of them make some outlandish statements that can cause trouble that isolate them even further. They started to do research regarding medicine inside their own circle. Their potential is enormous to public life. Souma and Nomura decides to approach them and asked for their cooperation and combine research which then created a foundation where they could as for their help. But to Souma and Nomura's surprise, these people not only advanced in their research in medicine and medical practices, they created something that can suppress the bacteria, Antibiotics.