003

Lo'ak

Lo'ak

The tulkun below me slowly glid in the direction I had come from, the hazy distance soon becoming clearer with every passing second. The sun had set only minutes ago, leaving the world around us dark. The beast halted as I saw the light flickering off the torches in the distance.

'I cannot go beyond here' He told me. I nodded, slightly confused as I slid off of the beast, I couldn't wait to tell Neteyam, he would be impressed. I called for an ilu as I said my goodbyes to the tulkun, his large body turning and swimming away.

My hand met the skin of an ilu as I glid along the water, not wanting to face the wrath of my parents. Once the dock became clearer and clearer I knew I couldn't escape their scolding. I sighed, my lungs filling fully before it all disappeared in a tired heap.

Hands wrapped around my wrists as I was tugged onto the wooden dock. If anything I would at least expect my mother to be slightly relieved, but no. She was livid, striding towards me with purpose.

"I pray that I will not pluck the eyes out of my youngest son!" She hissed, clawing a hand in front of my face, I defeatedly leaned in the other direction, avoiding her action as she scowled.

Tonowari pushed Aonung in front of the crowd, making him visible to all of us.

"My son will take full responsibility" He bellowed, shoving him a little more forward. I didn't know what I was thinking, but I stepped forward, claiming that it was my idea, the look on Aonung's face was all too recognisable.

The matter was dismissed soon later, Dad and the chief went off one way, and the others soon dispersed. I rubbed my eyes before I made my way down to the shore, the water illuminated a soft glow as I sat on a rock, my legs dipping into the sea. A body sat next to mine as a harsh voice sounded out.

"You didn't have to take the blame"

I hummed, moving my toes under the water, looking anywhere but him.

"I'm used to it" I huff. His shoulder nudged mine.

"My sister is taking the others to the spirit tree tomorrow, you should join them" He said while he stood up, brushing his arms of any sand that had placed itself upon him. Within moments he had disappeared, letting me suffocate with the weight of my thoughts. My lips tugged upwards slightly, remembering the girl who saved me. I didn't like to admit it, but she had kept me alive.

I rubbed the side of my head, the place where she had flicked it, tracing over the area with a singular finger. I knew I had to see her tomorrow, when I go to the spirit tree I can make a detour to find the tulkun, hopefully she'd be there.

Something about her fascinated me beyond measure and I needed to find out what it was.

In the time between pondering and sleep I had awoken to the rise of the sun. It was the earliest I had woken up since we arrived in this new clan, I must've been more excited than I thought. I quickly ran out to the rocks to find Tsireya teaching the children, she did various sign's as she looked at the sun, deeming it time to end the lesson.

Once the children had scattered, I approached.

"Lo'ak!" She beamed, waving me over. I gave her a close lipped smile, sitting weirdly among the surface underneath us. Before she could strike up a conversation Neteyam and Tuk had arrived, as well as Rotxo and Kiri.

The ocean splashed against my legs as Tsireya lead us to the shore. Fish swam between Kiri's ankles as she giggled looking down upon them and moving her legs to watch them flow.

Once we where all saddled up we began to move further into the sea, we where slow as the teenage girl began to tell us about Metkayina culture and the meaning of the tree. I wanted to speed up for personal reason's, but didn't want to draw to much attention to myself. Once I saw the bioluminescent glow of the nature below us I couldn't help but feel overexcited. I hadn't listened to the Metkayina teens as we all dived down, I made sure to slow my heart, taking deep breaths before my head went under the surface.

My eyes scanned the area before my arms and legs began to push myself through the water. My hand ran along a leaf of the tree as the stem glowed brighter. I reach behind me, pulling my braid from behind my shoulder. The nerves eagerly reach towards the stem as I stop mid way. A sudden movement caught my attention as my brows scrunched, scouring the area for such a source. I slightly nudge the leaf in front of me to the side.

My head rattles with all sorts of things as I see the girl from the tulkun, she happily tends to a leaf, running her hands along it as they illuminate. It was the first time I had seen her truly smile, her canines even being able to be seen.

A flower is tucked behind her ear as she wears a different outfit from yesterday, a top covered in pearls and shells catches my attention as she turn around, attending to another leaf. Her eyes widen at the sight of me, her body slightly flinching in surprise.

A small smile graces her face, opposed from the bright one before as she holds a singular finger to her lips.

'shh'

I chuckle at her antics before I sign the word for tulkun. Her head nods as she turns around.

I take this time to finally connect my queue to the stem of the tree, my body becomes limp as my pupils enlarge, a euphoric feeling rushing to my head.