039

Se'aeylwa

Se'aeylwa

I huff, finding it hard to stand as I hold an arm below my swollen stomach, a few months had passed and I was slowly loosing hope that my mate would come back at all. My stomach was always sore and a headache always pursued, adding on to the yearning I always felt, and the restless nights when I woke up, craving to be held.

The people of the clan where now fully aware of my pregnancy, the harsh comments turning into ones of surprise. The attention was soon drawn off of me as Ronal had given birth to her gorgeous daughter, the Tsahìk being praised and showered upon as I sat from a distance not wanting to hurt my swollen ankles. I couldn't wait to see the baby once I felt well enough to do so, I had a slight sniffle and didn't want to cause the child any illness in her first few days of life.

It was getting increasingly difficult to walk normally as I always found myself stopping for a few breaths before returning to the normal path. I look to my left as I began to slowly inch myself towards the water near my home. My face scrunching at the cold temperature that I once enjoyed, I had to admit it was relaxing and soothing, but it was always a pain to get out of, leaving me shivering. I slowly swam towards a small coral structure as I breathed out heavily, resting my palms against the surface as I aided myself keeping afloat.

My eyes drifted away from myself as a pink streak twirled around me. I smiled at the Ilu as it came closer, grazing against my side and clicking happily. I ran a hand over its neck as it came closer, snuggling into me, it's snout pressing against my shoulder in happiness before it let go and held out a fin.

I wasn't sure what she was doing but I complied, curling my fingers against her fin as she swam about, squeaking wildly as if she was ranting a full blown conversation. I responded back with my own clicks, conversing with her as she continued making her distinctive Ilu sounds.

She stopped in front of a bed of elevated seaweed as it poked through the surface. Her lover immediately guarding the bed as she slapped his head with one of her fins and lead me forward. The other ilu made the equivalent sound to a whine as he backed away, not testing his mate, while trying to rub his head by craning it down to the base of his neck and soothing the area.

She circled the bed happily, using her neck to swipe away the seaweed saplings. Laying in the makeshift nest was a clutch of eggs that she proudly showed me. Her snout nudging my stomach before turning back and nudging some of her eggs. I smiled at the action. She must've made the connection that I had an egg or something in my stomach.

I chuckled at the action as her mate lightly smoothed the side of his head to hers. She intertwined their long necks before separating and turning back to me with a dopey smile. She proudly placed one egg in her gummed mouth before presenting it to me, like a proud mother.

"They're beautiful" I reassure, watching as her eyes squint in happiness. I look at the sun and realise it's time for my check up the Tsahìk as I bid my farewells, joyful that I made a friend.