009

Se'aeylwa

Se'aeylwa

I'm now stuck in front of the group as we walk down the shore, to the tulkun's resting place. Aonung lightly pushes me every few minutes, a silent way of telling me to hurry, I move faster with every small shove until we're knee deep in water.

Tsireya lightly holds my shoulder, stopping me from diving ahead as she faces all of them.

"The children are with most of the Ilu's today so we'll have to pair up" She informs, holding an apologetic look. I nod at her words as people immediately start pairing up on their own. I stand to the side, silently hoping that someone would pick me, but that glimmer of hope is soon crushed as they all group together. I sigh defeatedly knowing that I would be the odd one out. I turn the other way making the call for an Ilu as a small finger jabs it's way into my leg.

I murmur a quick 'ow' as I turn around. The little girl from before looks up at me with her adoring eyes, showing off her teeth as she smiles.

"Hi" She says, I look left and right, even behind me to check she wasn't talking to someone else.

"Oh...Hi" I respond slowly. She giggles before grabbing my hand and pulling me towards her siblings. I can see the uneasiness on Neteyam's face at the sight of me, and I don't blame him. Even though it feels as if a bit of my heart was being ripped out, it made sense.

Who would trust their sister with someone like me?

I sigh before crouching down to her height.

"Umm maybe you'd like to partner up with Neteyam?" I ask, hinting that maybe I wasn't the wisest choice, she cutely shrugs her shoulders and runs to her older brother, screaming his name in delight. He picks Tuk up and sets her on his hip as I look around, finding the person without a pair. A finger taps my back as I turn around and see a girl around my age, she waves shyly, getting distracted as Lo'ak calls her name. She rolls her eyes as I stop myself from chuckling at her actions.

The Ilu's had gathered by the time we had finished, spinning and twirling around, waiting for us. I see a familiar looking one, her dark pink skin shining against the water and the sun. As I'm about to reach it another hand beats me to it. Lo'ak approaches the creature and attempts to mount it, but instead she throws him off, making the ilu equivalent of a scoff.

I laugh quietly at the scene watching as Tsireya tries to pick up the helpless boy.

"Lo'ak! I'm so sorry they don't usually act like that" Tsireya apologises, helping him stand once more. I stifle a laugh as a cough, pretending to have something stuck in my throat.

The Ilu hears my voice and her head shoots up, looking my way as she quickly swims in front of me. I chuckle at her eagerness as I crouch so that my chest is now dunked under the water. She rubs her head against the side of my neck, slithering around my body as I reciprocate her actions.

"How are you Mala?" I ask, watching intently as she makes a few sounds. I understand her calls and replicate a few back, having a small chat with the creature. I stand fully, giving her a few pats on the head as Kiri approaches me. The others had remained distracted during our entire greeting.

"How did you do that?"

"Do what?" I ask dumbfounded, hadn't everyone learnt the creatures language?

"How did you talk with her?" questions. I stand confused, my face scrunched as I try to explain.

"Ilu's and Tulkun are on a special frequency, all you have to do is understand it, and then you understand them" I shrug, beginning to hop on Mala's back. I pat the area behind me, nodding my head affirmingly that she could join if she wanted.

She slowly lifted her leg over the saddle, squirming before she found a comfortable position. We glide atop the water at a medium pace as the others trail behind us, following our lead.

The tulkun hadn't rested far among the village, only a couple hundred metres away. I sighed in relief as I saw a few floating amidst themself, communicating with their soundwaves. Some of them notice us as they alert the others.

My eyes scan the area, searching for anything remotely familiar. My body becomes ecstatic as I dive quickly, I feel Kiri's hands wrap around me tightly, holding herself to me so she would flail, or worse fall off completely.

The others had done the same, slipping through the gigantic creatures, and introducing the forest na'vi to the wonders of the sea. I notice a tulkun I know all to well hovering beneath the surface as I accelerate, moving even faster.

The male tulkun see's me, sending multiple soundwaves as I hop off the Ilu, I quickly watch as Kiri follows, her eyes filled with curiosity. She holds onto my shoulders, hovering above me as I do most of the work, moving back and forth to flow through the water.

The tulkun moved towards me, affectionately placing his head in my outstretched hand. I smile, bubbles floating out of my mouth and into my eyes. I feel a tap on my back as Kiri points to the surface, I understand her message. swaying my body so we move upwards. She takes a deep breath once our head reaches the surface. Soaking in all of the air she could get.

I float to a now above water tulkun, pulling myself up on his fin and sitting next to one of his eyes. I try to mimic his sounds, the tulkun language being much harder than the ilu's. He sounds confused as I turn towards my companion. She had joined me upon the large fin, stroking his skin in wonder.

Both of our heads snap in the direction of a splash. Heads rise from the water as I see one person in particular staring my way, and quite angrily.

Lo'ak.