Learning to swim

Day Two

Neteyams POV:
My ass still hurts from last night when that reef boy Ao'nung knocked me over, oh well though cuz today is the first day of our lessons, I think Ao'nung said we would be starting off with normal swimming, which I'm sure I'll be good at, because we have rivers and ponds back home in the forest. I get up out of my strange new bed way different to the net beds we have at home, and go help my mother prepare breakfast. We sit down and make small talk while chopping up some fish Tonowari gave us last night,
"so what is first on your agenda today Teyam?" Mother asks, " I think we are starting off with normal swimming today, reef b- I mean Ao'nung said we need to start there to see where we are at, but I think we will be fine mother"  she sighs sadly and says " I know, I just don't want you kids to get hurt, we don't know these people well, we don't know how those kids will treat you" with a tear rolling down her face, I pull my mother into a close and tight hug reassuring her we will be ok and that I will be there if anything happens. Me and my mother have always been really close and it always upset me to see her anxious about my siblings and I. My father comes in calling everyone to come sit down for a family meeting. He starts off with " I want you guys to become friends with these kids, let them know we mean no harm, stick together, and no misbehaving, GOT IT?" He says looking at Lo'ak, " Yes sir" he replies, I pull at his queue and he hisses at me. Mother looks at us " what does your father always say?"  And range of sloppy " Sullys stick together" float around the family. We finish eating and start heading out to find Tsireya and Ao'nung, but they are already outside our hooch with I think his name is Roxto. Ao'nung starring at me with those pretty eyes of his as I walk out, what is this feeling? I look down at my feet blushing, he calls out " come on forest boy, you nervous?" " no reef boy I'm not, let's go" Me and Ao'nung dive into the water, our siblings follow.

Ao'nungs POV:
I woke up early along with Tsireya to prepare what we are going to teach the Sully kids, we decide for today to stick to regular swimming to see how they are at holding their breath. Tsireya comes up to me after breakfast with mother and father, she tells me that Roxto will be helping us teach the others, and that he will pair up with Kiri and Tuk, Tsireya with Lo'ak and that leaves me with Neteyam, why am I so exited for this day. Me and my sister grew up teaching younger Metkayina children the way of the water, but this feels different I will be with the older brother. Why do I feel this way? I think as we walk to the Sully family's hooch. We get there and I wait looking at the door flap, after a while Neteyam walks out, He looks at me and I can't stop starting, he is so beautiful, he's looking down at his feet blushing a little, omg do I make this boy nervous. " come on forest boy, you nervous?" I ask he scuffs at me " no reef boy I'm not, let's go" Reef Boy? Why do I like that?. Say it again pretty boy. We dive into the water, our siblings follow. I look over at the sully kids, taking in everything around them in the ocean, Neteyam catches my eye as he looks over in my direction smiling, my god his smiles beautiful. Only 2 minutes into our dive Neteyam, Lo'ak and Tuk start going to the surface, I sign to them to swim with us but they keep going, "These kids are not good divers" I sign to Tsireya, " stop, they are learning" she signs back. We swim up to where they are "you guys are not good divers, maybe good at swinging through trees bu" I am interrupted by Tsireya slapping my head. "Come on bro, we don't understand this finger- talk, we don't know what your saying" Forest boy says to us. " I will teach you" my sister says. " Where is Kiri?" Roxto asks, who is Kiri? The sully sibling look all over and I realize it's their sister, my bad. We find her and bring them to the rocks.

772 words