Chapter 16

Isabella POV:

How come he is this way? I wondered, my voice choked with emotion as furious tears streamed down my cheeks, staining the fabric of the bedspread beneath me. I felt trapped, suffocated by the circumstances I found myself in.

My solitude was abruptly interrupted by the creak of the door, and I looked up to see Elena's radiant smile illuminating the dimness of the room. Despite the turmoil swirling within me, her presence brought a glimmer of warmth.

With an exuberant leap, Elena bounded into the room, her enthusiasm infectious as she greeted me with unwavering cheerfulness. "How is my queen doing?" she chirped, her eyes sparkling with genuine concern. She was always like this, effortlessly exuding positivity even in the darkest of moments.

"What do you think?" I replied, my voice hollow, the words tasting bitter on my tongue.

"I'll guess that you two fought," Elena remarked perceptively, as she observed me clearing my plate. Without waiting for confirmation, she swiftly took the plate from my hands.

"So what should we play today?" Elena asked, her voice filled with anticipation as she swung her arms excitedly. But today, the thought of playing seemed distant. I needed answers and clarity in the midst of confusion.

"Elena, there's something I would like to know more about," I began tentatively, my gaze locking with hers as I mustered the courage to broach the topic weighing heavily on my mind.

"Go ahead, ask me anything," she encouraged, her expression gentle yet eager.

"Are you and the other maids... like him?" I hesitated.

Elena's brow furrowed in confusion before realization dawned on her, and she shook her head adamantly. "No, we're human, just like you," she clarified. "But as for why the maids are here... they were brought by those who serve Lucian, widows whose husbands fell victim to his tyranny."

A shiver ran down my spine at the mention of his name, the memories of his cruelty still fresh in my mind. "Why are there no female wolves?" I pressed, curiosity mingling with apprehension as I sought to unravel the mysteries surrounding my captivity.

"I'm not sure," Elena admitted with a shrug, her gaze thoughtful as she considered the question. "But you can see for yourself, there are no females other than us."

I nodded solemnly, absorbing her words with a sense of resignation. The pieces of the puzzle were slowly falling into place, yet the picture they painted was one of despair and confinement.

"So where are you from?" I asked, eager to divert the conversation to lighter topics, if only for a moment.

A wistful smile tugged at the corners of Elena's lips as she reminisced about her past. "I'm from a small village in the mountains," she revealed.

I couldn't help but feel a pang of curiosity as I gazed at Elena, her bright eyes reflecting the flickering candlelight.

"Amm, so did Lucian also kill you? I mean," I started to ask, my words trailing off as I noticed the hesitation in her expression. Stop asking, Bella.

"No he didn't. I came here by myself," she continued, her voice surprisingly cheerful. "I didn't have any home, and here I can get to stay, eat, and play with you."

Observing her resilient demeanor, a warm smile tugged at my lips. She had such a positive outlook on everything.

"I'm sorry," I murmured, my voice softening as I imagined the hardships she must have faced. "You must have gone through a lot."

"Oh no, my lady," she responded, shaking her head slightly. "I don't remember much, but I can say I had a loving family."

"Do you remember anything about them?" I inquired gently, leaning in closer.