Chapter 19

Lucian POV:

When I saw blood on her hands, fear gripped me. I carefully removed the pieces of glass from her hand, my heart-wrenching at the sight of her sobbing. After the healer wrapped her hand, everyone left, but I suggested she rest. However, she insisted it would be rude to return just for a minor injury. Her considerate nature always amazed me.

"Can we go to the town?" she asked, hopeful. But I couldn't risk anything happening to her, so I hesitated.

"Please," she begged, and I couldn't help but chuckle. I loved her more than anything.

"I could never say no to you," I said, standing up.

"So..?" she inquired eagerly.

"Let's head out then," I replied with a smile. She jumped off the bed with joy. I would do anything to make her happy, except let her go, I couldn't bear the thought of losing her.

Together, we descended the staircase toward the castle's front. Before settling into the carriage, Bella stopped me.

"Lucian, we can walk there. I don't think you should take your wolf in town," she said, concerned.

"They won't hurt anyone," I assured her, patting my wolf on the back.

"But there will still be kids around," she countered. With a sigh, I nodded, took her hand, and we headed toward the town, followed by our guard. When we arrived, the town was eerily quiet.

"Why is everything so silent? Where is everyone?" Bella asked, looking around.

"Ethan is cruel, love. How do you think he has this much money?" I explained, continuing to walk. Bella was visibly upset, realizing that Ethan's actions had left these people in dire circumstances.

She looked troubled, responding, "But this is awful. These are his people, and they're suffering because of him." I could see the sadness etched on her face.

"Hey, come over here," she called out, bending down slightly. As I turned, I noticed a group of small children peeking over the side wall of a nearby house. "Don't be afraid. I won't hurt you," she reassured them in a gentle voice, and the kids cautiously approached her.

"Since I promised not to harm you, may I ask where your parents are?" she inquired, her hand resting on one child's cheek. The children glanced at each other nervously.

"What happened? Where are your parents?" she asked softly.

One of the girls stepped forward and told Bella, "The king killed them because they couldn't pay him."

"What? Are you all alone, then?" Bella asked, her voice filled with concern. The children nodded sadly.

"Do you have anything to eat?" a small boy asked as he approached her. She glanced at me, and I nodded in understanding. I ordered my guards to bring the food.

"Who are you?" two boys asked, turning to me. I wouldn't have even been here if it weren't for Bella, I detested this miserable place. I ignored their question, my gaze fixed on Bella, waiting for her next move.

"They have a far better heart taste than adults," my wolf spoke, my eyes fixed on the group of children playing in the distance.

"Yes, but Bella is with us," I replied. "We can't kill them."

"Bella truly does care about others," my wolf continued, "even if they are not her own people." He paused, then added, "She really is like an angel."

I nodded in agreement, a small smile playing on my lips. "Like her," I whispered, my voice barely audible over the gentle rustling of the wind through the trees.