Chapter 31

Lucian POV:

My heart raced as Bella took my arm, her touch sending a jolt through me. The wolf inside me stirred, a primal dance of excitement. She asked me to sit with her, her face flushed and red.

"Bella, are you all right? Your face is red. Are you hurt?" I inquired, concern lacing my words. But she seemed lost in her thoughts, not hearing me at first.

"Bella," I gently shook her, bringing her attention back. "What's wrong?"

She blinked, looking nervous. "Yeah... what happened?"

I reached out, brushing her forehead. "Are you hurt? Your face is all red. Do you have a fever?"

"Oh no, it's nothing. I'm okay," she assured me, but her eyes betrayed her unease.

"What did you want to talk about?" I asked, sensing there was more to her distress.

She took a deep breath. "Now that my father is dead, what will happen to my kingdom? Who will rule over it?"

I paused, unsure how to respond. "I haven't decided yet, Bella. I know humans distrust us. You wouldn't want a wolf ruling over you."

"If they are worthy, then I have no issue," she surprised me with her openness.

I stared at her, incredulous. Could she truly accept any of us as her ruler? "Is there even a choice for her?" my wolf questioned.

"She could hand it over to one of her own kind," I suggested, but my wolf disagreed.

"The throne is hers by right. You won't let her rule, will you?" he challenged.

"No, she will be with me. What if something happens to her?" I replied, my protective instincts kicking in.

As the carriage rattled along the forested road, Lucian's thoughts drifted to the unsettling behavior of Bella. "I know, but what has happened to her? She's acting strangely. I thought she would resist your decision," he mused aloud.

"Yeah, I'll need to keep a close eye on this," I replied

"Lucian, listen," she interjected. "It's alright if one of your kind rules over the kingdom's Fiore, but I need a promise from you. Promise me that he will treat them well, my people, or any others. Humans are not your enemies," she implored.

Her words echoed in my mind just like her. "Humans are not your enemies," his mother would often say.

As her hand found its way into me, I turned to meet her gaze, finding sincerity reflected in her eyes. A genuine smile graced her lips, melting away the tension in my heart.

"I understand," I replied softly, without need for further explanation, my gaze drifting out the carriage window as I contemplated her words.

"My lord, we have arrived," my men announced, breaking the momentary silence. I glanced over to see Bella peacefully asleep beside him.

A tender smile touched my lips as I gently shook her awake. "Bella, we've arrived," I whispered.

Bella stirred, rubbing her eyes sleepily before murmuring, "We've reached," in a tired voice.

"Yes, it's time," I affirmed, stepping out of the carriage and offering Bella a supportive hand.

Suddenly, a voice pierced the quietude, a voice filled with joy and longing. "Oh my god, Bella, you're here! I've missed you so much!" The guards tensed, prepared to intervene, but my reassuring gesture halted their advance.

Bella's face lit up with recognition as she rushed to embrace the approaching figure. Bella ran to her and gave her a hug, causing the girl to start crying.