Chapter 30

Isabella POV:

Lucian didn't force me to accompany him. I like this about him, he is polite and not overly aggressive. Yet, I know hes doing this because my father has died and he doesnt want to push me too hard.

I longed to return to my kingdom, but not like this, not while carrying my fathers lifeless body. Tears welled up in my eyes, and I quickly wiped them away, sighing deeply. I must be strong now. He died to save me. But what will become of my kingdom? Who will rule in his stead?

I am not fully prepared for this immense responsibility. Has Lucian thought about a solution? Given that our kingdom was ruled by my father, perhaps Lucian will appoint one of his men to govern it. After all, our kingdom was under him.

As I lay in bed, I could sense Lucian constantly checking on me. This didn't bother me, in fact, it made me smile. The last time he did this, it was the most terrifying scene I'd ever witnessed, but he saved me.

"He did it because they had harmed you," my subconscious reminded me.

I recalled the birds advice to give him a chance. Instead of feeling anger or fear, perhaps I could just talk to him. I shifted my gaze, thinking of his cruelest methods of punishment. Fear gripped me, what if he got angry at me?

"But Isabella, he has never physically harmed you," I reassured myself.

"But what about mentally?" I questioned.

My subconscious reminded me of the countless people he has killed for disobedience or defiance. Yet, despite my many transgressions, here I was, lying in bed, unharmed. My subconscious, more logical than I, freed me from the grip of anger, hatred, and fear.

I could give him a chance. Or perhaps, I could simply try to understand him.

"Bella, hey, Bella, wake up. We have to go," Lucian's voice broke through my dreams, gently pulling me back to reality. I half-opened my eyes, still heavy with sleep, and sat up, rubbing them.

"Yeah, I'm awake," I mumbled, my voice groggy. I turned to look at Lucian, who stood beside me, a wide grin spreading across his face as he chuckled.

"What's so funny?" I asked, stifling a yawn. "Did I oversleep?"

"Oh no, love," he replied, his eyes twinkling with amusement. "It's just that you look like a child, a cute one." His smile was warm, a rare moment of tenderness that caught me off guard.

I paused, taking in his expression. It was a side of him I didn't often see, a glimpse of the man he could be when he just put his hatred of humans aside. Alex had once told me that Lucian was capable of being just a normal person.

"Bella... Bella, are you okay?" Lucian's voice brought me back to the present, his face now filled with concern.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I was just thinking about something," I said, shaking off my thoughts. He nodded, satisfied for the moment, and stood up.

"Get ready quickly. We're all set to go," he instructed as he walked out of the tent.

I hurried to change into my clothes and stepped outside. The guards were efficiently packing up the camp, preparing for our departure. My eyes scanned the area for Lucian, but he was nowhere to be seen. Instead, I spotted Louis near my carriage and quickly made my way to him.

"Louis, have you seen Lucian?" I asked.

"No, but why?" he replied, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh, nothing. I just wanted to see him," I said, trying to sound casual.