146 Set Things Right

Qiu Ling had a lot of complaints inside but he voiced none of them. Right now, there were more important things. He quickly cupped Jing He's cheeks and turned his head to look at him. "Are you alright?" He had tried to soften the blow for him but had also needed to evade the attack from behind so it was tough to tell if Jing He had been hurt in the end.

Jing He hastily shook his head but his hands were trembling. For just a moment, he had thought it was his behavior that made Qiu Ling react that way but then he had already felt the fluctuations in the spiritual energy around them. Unfortunately, that wasn't any better. The kind of person that would dare to attack the dragon king ... he could hazard a guess how many there were and he didn't like the answer he came up with at all.

Qiu Ling nodded and got to his feet, pulling Jing He up along with him while vigilantly looking back. "Tianjun, it's alright to attack me but make sure not to accidentally hit your son." When it came to fighting, he really didn't trust the Heavenly Emperor.

Even if all gods were born with the magic of all elements that didn't automatically make them good fighters. No, you still had to train for that and he somehow doubted that the incumbent Heavenly Emperor had ever trained a day in his life. Thus, accidentally hitting the wrong person wasn't out of the question.

His words naturally didn't make Rong Su feel any calmer. He had come over to have a chat with his son to see if he remembered whether the dragon king had done anything outrageous to him during his trial. Now, it seemed he had worried about the wrong time altogether! No matter what this bastard had done at that time, he even dared to currently take advantage of his son!

Rong Su clenched his hands into fists. To be honest, he was also afraid of hitting Jing He considering how close those two stood together but he absolutely couldn't just watch this unfold. "Jing He, come here!" His voice lacked the usual pampering and patience for his son.

Jing He lowered his head, his own hands tightly pressed together. His father was furious, so much was for certain. And the worst thing was that he saw no easy way to make him calm down, not after his father had seen what happened just now.

"Jing He!" Rong Su called out again when his son didn't move immediately, his gaze darkening. He wasn't completely oblivious to what was going on with Qiu Ling and Jing He. Anyway, that bastard had gone after his precious son for a full ten years before the trial. It was just ... he had exhorted Jing He again and again not to trust a dazzler like this and even detailed all the bad points of Qiu Ling. How could his otherwise sensible son still fall for this dandy?!

Jing He flinched and immediately wanted to rush over. Before he could step out, Qiu Ling grabbed his hand though. Looking up, Jing He's gaze met that of his lover and he suddenly hesitated.

He wanted to calm his father's temper, yes, but ... he also did not want for Qiu Ling to take any blame. After all, just now ... he felt that he had taken the initiative. Yes, maybe Qiu Ling was the one who had started to kiss him but hadn't it been done to figure out whether he would indeed be alright with the ceremony in the dragon realm?

And he hadn't refused him either. Instead, he had let Qiu Ling do as he pleased with him and had even thought to subtly encourage him at the end. How could Qiu Ling be blamed for what had happened? If anything, then it was his behavior that had caused this issue so he should be the one to bear his father's wrath.

Jing He's lips parted. He wanted to say something to make the situation clear to his father but he didn't even know where to start. His father didn't know about their engagement after all.

Qiu Ling's thoughts traveled in a similar direction but he thought a little further: The Heavenly Emperor didn't know and after seeing what had happened just now, he would absolutely admonish Jing He later and try to talk him into putting some distance between them. He couldn't let that happen.

He was a patient man when it came to wooing his beloved. He had managed to keep going for ten years and had then even lived through a millennium-long trial before his beloved returned to his side. He originally didn't think he had it in him but he could indeed wait this long if he could be with Jing He at the end. There was a limit to that patience though and he didn't think he wanted to wait much longer.

He lowered his eyelids and his gaze hardened before he looked up again. "I asked Jing He to marry me." Anyway, sooner or later, they had to tell him.

Jing He looked up at Qiu Ling, struck by his handsome profile and the assuredness radiating from his straight posture. This man really seemed afraid of nothing. He certainly wasn't afraid of his father. Even in such a situation, he could calmly state his desire to be with him, unwilling to hide behind excuses or white lies to gain more time to prepare. He really was ... admirable, unlike himself.

Rong Su gave a huff. "So what? My son rejected you and you tried to force him to change his mind by shaming him like this? Don't think I'd let that happen!"

Qiu Ling's lips twitched. This old man really thought he had the need to do so. Please, he hadn't only known Jing He since yesterday. That ship had long since sailed.

Next to him, Jing He's cheeks flushed. He had feared what others would think of him but hearing his father slander Qiu Ling like this, he felt even worse. He might have even preferred it if his father scolded him.

Glancing at Qiu Ling's face again, he lightly bit his lower lip. He couldn't stay quiet at this time, could he? No, Qiu Ling was willing to marry him and think for his sake even if it stood against the customs of the dragon race. If he couldn't even face up to his own father, then how did he deserve him?

He gripped Qiu Ling's hand tightly, trying to draw some courage from him but he still couldn't even lift his head. Still, his lips finally parted and he forced himself to set things right. "No, I ... I accepted, father. I want to marry Qiu Ling."