196 A Night of Bliss

Of course, Jing He's fears were nonsense. There had never been any doubt whether Qiu Ling found him attractive or not. When he saw his beloved step past the folding screen and walk over to him, he took a shaky breath, reminding himself not to do the wrong thing.

He got to his feet and reached out, his hands gently landing on Jing He's shoulders before trailing down to his elbows and finally sneaking sideways to hold onto his waist. "We ... should probably get into bed." Looking at Jing He's face, he tried not to think too much. "It's a bit cold, isn't it?" And I also don't trust myself that much ...

Jing He couldn't agree with Qiu Ling's assessment of the temperature. Actually, he felt that it seemed to have turned rather warm. But then, maybe this had nothing to do with the room temperature and more with his own body. Being touched by Qiu Ling, his skin seemed to heat up all on its own.

He gently nodded but he didn't move at all, instead just looking at Qiu Ling to wait for what he would do.

Qiu Ling exhaled and then carefully tugged at Jing He, pulling him closer before maneuvering him onto the bed. He pulled the blanket over him, covering him tightly. Not seeing what he currently couldn't have should at least somewhat help. Otherwise, he really felt like he was going crazy.

He smoothed out the imaginary creases in the fabric of the blanket and then lay down next to Jing He. Just like the last time, he only dared to lie on top of the blanket though. If he didn't ... well, it was a lot more difficult to keep his hands to himself if he had a prime opportunity right in front of him.

Thinking of that night before Jing He had left for his trial made him calm down though. "I remember that time ..." He narrowed his eyes while reaching out to gather Jing He into his arms. Yes, maybe he couldn't touch him yet but that didn't mean that they couldn't at least hug, right?

Jing He looked up expectantly, not saying a word. He wasn't sure what Qiu Ling had thought of. He only knew that they were incredibly close right now. He felt Qiu Ling's warmth seeping through the blanket and the thin fabric of his inner robe. He felt his breath caressing his skin and his voice seemed to linger in his ears this up close. His whole world seemed to have shrunk to only this bed and the two of them.

Qiu Ling's hand traveled up and down his lover's back, gently stroking it while the soft hair brushed over his skin. "When I stayed in your palace, we promised each other to get married the day you returned." His lips curved up when he said so and he finally laughed faintly. "Since the day I first met you, I've always wanted to marry you immediately."

Jing He also smiled faintly, his cheeks flushing lightly when he heard Qiu Ling's laughter. The sound was so nice. He could have listened to this forever. "It's been a long time."

"Mn." Qiu Ling hummed faintly and his hands on Jing He's back stilled. "I don't regret it though. There was much to learn. Even now, I know there is more to discover. I'm willing to put in the time and effort. Still ... I am looking forward to it." He reached up, one hand covering Jing He's cheek. "It's going to be some more time but not too much. I ... give the two of us another year at most. By then, I'm sure we'll be a married couple."

This time, Qiu Ling felt that he shouldn't be wrong. Yes, there was some groveling to do in front of the Heavenly Emperor. Yes, the ceremony in the Nine Heavens would have to be prepared. But at the end of the day, all of this should be finished fast in comparison to Jing He's trial or the decade spent wooing him. A year ... was probably not too conservative of a guess.

Jing He gave a hum as well. "I would like that." A year indeed seemed like a good estimate. Even if his father didn't want to agree at first, it should be alright. Although ... "I'm not sure what to do about my father."

Qiu Ling sighed. "It's not easy but we'll manage." He hesitated for a moment but then leaned forward and kissed Jing He's forehead. "Don't worry. Just leave it all to me. Whatever happens, I'll deal with it."

Jing He nodded faintly, not daring to move too much. Qiu Ling's palm on his cheek was warm and he felt like leaning against it further.

Qiu Ling hummed and leaned closer until his forehead rested against Jing He's. "I can't wait to officially be your husband. That title ... you have no idea how much it means to me."

Jing He didn't dare to say anything. He, as well, wanted to be officially known as Qiu Ling's spouse. Of course, he could understand the feeling. Although, in his mind, the two also couldn't quite be compared. He might be the crown prince of the Nine Heavens but this could hardly be mentioned in the same breath as Qiu Ling's identity as the dragon king who had successfully reigned for millennia. Obviously, the one with the more illustrious identity had always been Qiu Ling, no matter what his father thought.

Qiu Ling kept quiet for a while, his thought straying to the other night he had spent at Jing He's palace. They hadn't had much time to talk about any of it and after all that serious talk earlier in the evening, he suddenly felt that he wanted to indulge for a bit. Just whispering sweet nothings to each other ... that was also a certain type of bliss, wasn't it?

He raised his head and looked at the tightly closed door behind them before sitting up and pulling the curtains of the bed close. Then, he turned back to Jing He, a faint smile on his lips. "I remember the last time, you sang a lullaby for me. This time ... I wonder if you could do me another favor?" With that, he picked up Jing He's hand, gently pressing his lips to the soft skin. Ah, this night ... it might indeed be a blissful one. In fact, he could hardly wait.