Chapter 23- The Scroll

Chapter 23

•Alex's P.O.V•

The others stared at me in shock and concern. I'd told them about what I saw in my dream, what I could remember form it that is, and the room fell silent as I finished. Until Cameron spoke up.

"Okay, so, let's get this straight." He started. "You relived the day your magic manifested, then out of nowhere this guy shows up and, presumably, kills you in your dream?" I nodded.

"And he knew about you not knowing about the elemental realm?" Damian asked. I nodded again.

"And the fire turned, magenta?" Aarya asked. I nodded once more.

"That's a specific colour, don't you think?" Zack said.

"What colour were his eyes?" Damian asked, pacing around slowly.

"I don't know. There was this...haze that covered them." I said. Damian hummed to himself in thought.

"He also mentioned something about me being the one to 'end his reign', or something. What's that supposed to mean?" I asked.

"Not sure." Damian said quietly, stroking his chin. "There is a way we can make some sense out of what you saw though."

"There is?"

"Yeah, the library. It has records of every elemental that's ever lived in its archives. Heck, it even has records of us." Damian suggested.

"Really?" I asked, surprised.

"Yeah. Every feat of every elemental that has lived is recorded there. If we can find out who that elemental was that you saw, it could help answer a lot. It's our best shot at finding the answers you're looking for." Damian explained.

"Huh..." I hummed in thought for a second. By then, the dream I had was a bit fuzzy, I only managed to remember about half of it. But that figure, I remembered him perfectly. From his clawed hand to his evil smile.

"Lets do it." I said. "If it'll make sense of what I saw, then it's worth a shot."

"Alright then." Damian said. "Lets meet in the library later today. It's Saturday, so there aren't any classes to worry about."

"How 'bout ten?" Aaron suggested.

"Works for me." I said. With that, we all said goodnight and went back to bed. I looked across the room, noticing how quickly Zielo fell asleep. I lay in my bed staring at the ceiling for about thirty minutes before falling asleep myself.

•••

It's been a week since I had that dream. We all met up at the library, just like we discussed, but we didn't find anything useful in the archives. No records of any elemental matched the description of the man I saw in my dream. We met up again in the archives an hour ago, currently looking through more books that we hoped would be helpful.

Unfortunately, that wasn't going too well. 

"Ugh!" I groaned quietly, slamming another book shut in frustration. "We've been searching forever, and there's still nothing! No info at all!"

"Hey, Alex, calm down-"

"Don't tell me to calm down!" I snapped at Zack, who looked at me with a surprised stare. I let out a sigh.

"I'm sorry, I just..."

"You're frustrated." Damian stated. I turned to him, his glowing eyes staring back at me.

"And scared." He added.

"How-"

"Empathy. It's a natural ability for us mind elementals." He came to sit down next to Natalie, flipping through another book that he pulled out form the shelf. Zielo came to sit next to me, putting his hand on my shoulder.

"I get it. You saw a dream and you have no clue what it means and you're desperate to find out. But we have to be patient. Something will come up eventually, we just have to keep looking." He said, reassuringly stroking my shoulder with his thumb. I shot him a small smile, letting out a long sigh.

"I think I've had enough searching for today. I'm gonna go play with Blaze. See you guys later." I said, getting up form my seat.

"Okay, see you later Al." Zielo said, waving me goodbye. I waved back, walking toward the library entrance. As I reached the huge double doors, I noticed something glowing out the corner of my eye. I turned to one of the high shelves to my left to find a scroll emitting a dull magenta glow. I tilted my head in confusion. I went over to the shelf. The scroll started glowing brighter the closer I got.

"Hey, guys?" I called for the others. They quickly gathered around me.

"What's wrong Alex?" Aaron asked.

"I think I found something." I said. "Do any of you know any levitation spells, or anything that can get me off the ground?"

"I can use my telekinesis, and Aaron can cast levitation, why?" Damian said, a curious glint in his eyes.

"There's something I need on that top shelf up there." I pointed to the scroll. "I'd blast myself up there, but I'd end up burning the place down." I explained. Damian and Aaron looked at each other before turning back to me, eyes glowing.

"Hold on." They said in unison. A second later, I felt a soft cool breeze wrapping around my body, lifting me a few feet off the ground. I waved my arms out and around, trying to balance myself in the air. A purple glow then emanated form my body, stabilizing me, before floating higher above the ground. I was hovering about six feet off the ground, but I wasn't close enough to grab the scroll.

"A little higher guys." I said to them. Their eyes glowed brighter and my body then hovered higher. I reached out, my fingers an inch from the parchment, but not close enough.

"I almost got it, just a little higher."

With that, my body floated higher. With that I grabbed the scroll and waved it to them.

"I got it!" I said. Damian and Aaron set me down gently, the purple glow and the breezy tingling disappearing from my body a second later.

"Just a random question, why choose that scroll in particular? There's about a dozen others on that shelf." Damian asked curiously, arms crossed.

"I..." I trailed off, looking down at the scroll. It was still glowing in my hands. A soft tingling danced all around my fingers as I held it.

"...actually don't know." I said. "I was about to leave, but I saw this out the corner of my eye. It was glowing, it's still glowing."

The others looked at the scroll, then at each other, before focusing their eyes back onto me.

"Uh, don't know how to tell you, Al, but, that's just a regular piece of parchment." Keith said, concerned. I tilted my head, looking at the scroll again. It was still glowing.

"Am I the only one who can see it...?" I muttered to myself. I shook my head.

"Whatever, let's see what this scroll says." I said. Everyone gathered around me as I opened the scroll. But one look at it, and they all gasped in unison, some covering their mouths in horror. I flashed them a confused stare before reading the big words in bold at the top of the scroll.

'The Corrupted King'

~~~~~

Author's Notes

I honestly had no idea what this chapter would be about when I started. I went with one idea, then scrapped it and started over, then I cut half of the chapter because I hated it, then I went back editing every single sentence because it didn't sound right as I read it out loud (Which it still kinda doesnt to be honest) but overall, I'm happy with how it ended up.

-BlueBoyHalo14