Chapter 15-The Scavenger Hunt

[EXTREMELY LONG CHAPTER AHEAD]

Chapter 15

•Alex's P.O.V•

"A scavenger hunt?" Keith asked, staring at the piece of paper. Everyone shared the same intrigued expression I had.

"I love scavenger hunts! They're the funest thing ever!" Zach said excitedly.

"Incorrect use of grammar there, Zach, but I agree. These are normally pretty fun." Damian said.

"What else does it say?" Aarya asked. I read on.

'Welcome to the annual first years' Campus Run. Throughout the school are ten magical items hidden in various locations, one for each element. Your task is to solve the clues given to you, find the items and bring them back to your team mentor. Good luck.'

"Sounds simple enough." Cameron shrugged. "What's the first clue?"

Under the first message I read, in the blank space, black ink started to seep into the page out of thin air, then forming letters, a message. It read;

•Flaming armour
The armour of a creature granting it protection from its power.

"Oh great, it's in riddles." Zielo muttered in an annoyed tone. He hated riddles, he has ever since we were kids.

"An armor..." Damian muttered, his eyes glowing a faint purple. "Granting protection from a creature's own power?"

"Dragons." I said out loud. Damian shot a puzzled look at me.

"Dragons?" He repeated.

"Look." I pointed to the name of the item. "Flaming armour, it's in the name. The armour would need to be resistant to flames. And the first creature that comes to mind then I say flames-"

"Is a dragon..." Damian interrupted. "Dragon scales... Alex you're a genius!" Damian smiled.

"Wow, that means a lot coming from you." I joked. "Where do we find a dragon scale?"

"The stables. There are dragons there." Natalie answered.

"Then what are we waiting for? To the dragon stables!" Zach said excitedly, running in the direction of the stables. We all followed. Not long after, we reached the stables, and sure enough, fifty feet away, there were dragons, snoring blissfully, smoke puffing out their nostrils. More importantly, their scales lay there in their nests, completely unattended to.

"Okay, it's just a simple 'grab and go'." I whispered. I carefully made my way to one of the nests and bent down to pluck a scale embedded in the straw and hay.

"I got it." I whispered to my teammates. They nodded and gave me thumbs up as I made my way back.

"That was easy." I said softly.

"Yeah, now let's get out of here. We don't wanna wake the-"

*ACHOO!*

The entire stable rumbled and the sound of the giant sneeze echoed and bounced off the walls. The dragons' eyes shot open, their heads lifted, and their bright orange and golden eyes lay on us.

"Uh...sorry?" Keith whispered. One of the dragons opened its jaw and a ball of flames gathered at the back of its mouth, growing bigger and bigger by the second.

"RUN!" I yelled. We all turned and bolted for the entrance, just barely making it out of the small doorway. We quickly shut the doors to the dragon stables, just in time to feel the impact of the fireball colliding with the reinforced wooden door. I tried to catch my breath.