Perfect Prefect

I woke up to thunder in the sky. It was pouring outside my window. So much for summer, I guess. I climbed out of bed and brushed my teeth, getting ready for a depressing breakfast with my mother. I desperately wanted to talk to Tom again, but I knew I had to complete all my work first.

I walked down the flight of stairs and into the dining area. "Good morning, Mother." I barely whispered as she nodded at me. The kitchen was filled with the aroma of eggs, bacon, and French toast. I served myself some and started eating when the Daily Prophet's newspaper flew into the house with our family owl.

"LUCIUS MALFOY, ARRESTED YESTERDAY IN HIS OWN MANOR BY BRAVE AURORS- READ ALL ABOUT IT ON PAGE 3."

I grimaced at the sight of it, and the shame it would bring to our family would be just too much. "Did you sleep well?" My mother questioned me, trying to turn the conversation around.
"Yes, but I didn't have any of my usual nightmares." I smiled not only because it was a peaceful sleep but because I got to talk to Tom that night.

After breakfast was over, I pulled out a novel about the history of the Dark Arts and began reading it, trying to distact myself from writing in the diary. My attempts soon failed as I found myself picking it up and writing in it, "Good morning, Tom." The words disappeared, and soon the reply came."Good morning. Did you sleep well?"

"Yes, surprisingly well. Do you sleep?"

"Every time you close me."

I thought about what to say next when there was a knock on my window. My owl, Raven, was perched upon the window sill with a letter in his beak. I took the letter in my hand, and it was the Hogwarts. I smile to myself at the memory of the palace and open it. My eyes skim the paper, and it was just the usual, but there was something else attached to it. It was what I had been waiting for for a long time. My Prefects letter, I was chosen! I pick up the diary and write, "Tom! I have been chosen to become prefect this year." I eye my badge and send back a confirmation letter, assuring my position as prefect. I hope my partner is someone decent.

"Good job. I was a prefect as well, and it is quite the honorary position, plus you get to have all the benefits of it as well."

"Oh trust me, I'll use this position for good," I smirked