Chapter 9

Once the flashbacks were done, I walked into my room. It was a mess. I haven't cleaned it for weeks.

"Sorry, that it's a mess. I hope you don't mind. I'll clean it soon-"

"It's fine." Chase interrupted me. He sighed after he said that.

"What's wrong?" I asked, trying not to let the sound of concern come out of my mouth.

"It's just..." He sat down on the bed. "How are we gonna hang out now? You're gonna be living with Mr. Young and it'll be weird when I come over. A-and he probably won't even let me hang out with you." Chase said. I think I saw tears in his eyes.

I sat down next to him. "Hey! It's okay. Whatever he says, I'll just..." There was a pause. I didn't know what to say. "I'll sneak out of the house if he says I can't hang out with you!"

"Sadie!" Chase said standing up from the bed. "You can't sneak out of the house! Not only is he your teacher, but he's your dad too!" Chase said. Now he was yelling at me. I'm sure Mr. and Mrs. Young could here him.

I was so mad that Chase called Mr. Young my dad. "He is not my dad! My dad is dead and nothing can change that! And I'll do whatever I want, in order to hang out with you!" I said. I was starting to yell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Downstairs, Mr. and Mrs. Young were playing around with Josh. They could hear me and Chase's argument.

"Hon, aren't you going to go and break them up?" Mrs. Young asked.

"Nah. They'll figure it out on their own." Mr. Young told his wife while playing with Josh's hands.

"Well I'm sorry that your dad is dead, Sadie, but he is now your stepdad! You can't do anything about it!" Chase yelled.

"But I don't want him to be my stepdad! I want my real dad! I would do anything to get away from their household with Josh! He can't tell me who and who not to hang out with!" I yelled. My throat was starting to hurt. I was crying by now and I'm pretty sure that I saw a tear come out of Chase.

Mr. Young stopped playing with Josh and looked up towards the stairs. His jaw was clenched. "I'm gonna go for a walk." He said. He walked out the front door and started walking down the street. Mrs. Young looked towards the stairs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Up in my room, I was still sitting on my bed. I was still crying. I look up and see Chase. His face is as red as a tomato.

"Sadie, you don't mean that," Chase said. He started walking up to me, but I turned my face. He sighed and sat down on the bed next to me. He grabbed my hand and held it, lacing our fingers together. "I know you're mad at me right now." He said, licking his lips. "I've known you for so long, that I know your every facial expression. I'm sorry for talking bad towards you. I just... Don't think it's a good idea for-"

"For me to go and live with him," I said. "I know..." I sniffed looking up into Chase's eyes. "I don't want to go and live with him... But I don't have a choice." I said. A tear streamed down my face.

We were looking into each other's eyes. Chase leaned in close to me.