15: Our Happy Moments

Previously...

She remained dead in the alleyway, no one coming, her body left to rot and provide food for starving creatures. Zenitsu had been continuously skipping class which started peaking concern from his friends. But every time they asked, he had a different excuse. 

"I have work..."

"My cousin is visiting."

"I'm not feeling well."

"I'm really tired so imma head to bed early." Each time he used an excuse the more suspicious his friends got. They didn't question until when they were about to ask him again and saw Zenitsu's mouth open Tanjiro cut him off.

"Zenitsu... what's wrong."

*Now continuing...*

"I just...I want to be dreaming," he choked out. Tears begun to flow down his cheeks before he could realize that he was crying in front of Tanjiro. "I'm s-sorry. It's ju-just hard. All I wanted to do was the right thing but that turned into something r-really wrong..." Zenitsu began to trail off as he realized how desperately he needed to get this off his chest. 

"What do you mean?"

"You'll hate me for this. I know you will. I'll get turned in and- my life will be ruined." He wanted to beg, to plead with his best friend, that he didn't have to tell him, but if he didn't then he felt like he would tear himself apart before anyone else could. If he lost his best friend, then he would lose everyone else, too. Tanjiro was a form of stability in everyone's lives. He was Zenitsu's, too.

Zenitsu turned his eyes back up to face his friend but when he did all he saw was him staring off into the distance. He looked lost in thought, or rather, like he was pondering about something. Seeing him like this sparked a fear but he took a deep breath and let it out as a sigh instead of asking.

"You killed her, didn't you?" But when he asked the question all Zenitsu could do was look defeated. He wouldn't ask how he knew because the answer is obviously especially to him. His silence was all the confirmation Tanjiro needed for his theory. "You won't get arrested. It's gonna eat you up inside but I'll make sure you'll remain safe. There were no witnesses or cameras anyways. So please, come back with us," he told him.

"It was a murder..."

"And as bad as this may sound, you're still my best friend. You saved my sister's life. You saved us, Zenistu. I'm in your favor so let me do at least this to pay you back."

"Don't pay me back for a murder though. I FUCKING ENDED A GODDAMN LIF-"

"You saved our lives." Tanjiro covered his friend's mouth with his hand before he finished yelling. "Also, try not to shout about this. People might hear you and I'll have to choose a video game as an excuse to why you're talking about having ended a life. We'll all help you though. It feels terrible right now but it'll ease as time goes on." Zenitsu didn't say anything in response for the next couple of minutes or even as Tanjiro started walking, pulling him along. "It'll be okay."

Eventually they came to a stop at a small shop in the corner of the neighborhood. "There's someone who's been wanting to talk to you, Zenitsu."

"I don't feel like it..."

"Please? She's been asking ever since she gained consciousness."

"What?? Who do you-" What made him stop mid-sentence was the sight of the one person who most wanted to avoid but dreamed of seeing out of everyone. As she came around the corner her eyes no longer seemed to be filled with fear. Instead, they radiated in the gleam of the sunlight. Her hair flowed in the gentle breeze back and forth as her smile made her seem breathtaking. It's been so long since he faced her and he had only dreamt of them having an actual conversation one-on-one. She made his legs weak and his tongue twisted from her beauty. Her laugh was a sound from the heavens. Everything overwhelmed him from forgetting how beautiful she was and how he made her feel even just from seeing her that he wondered if he could actually talk to her or if she would be ready to talk to him. He didn't know when he would ever be ready or if today was the day but the chance might never come again.

He felt a hand on his back push him forward, signalling him to go inside with her. He listened to it and slowly walked in full of nerves. Once he finally reached her a few feet in front of her was when he felt every worry melt away. 'Why?' he asked himself. 'After everything why am I able to stand in front of her like this? Why am I able to feel like this?' Then he heard it. Even though it might not be a lot to someone it was to him. His only love, an angel.

"Hi Zenitsu."

A/N: I know I said I'd update but then I was sick for 2 months without end and had several infections and etc I lost count and also social stuff but I found my cringy reading lists and by that I got motivation to write (it's weird) so I plan on finishing this soon since it's nearing the end of the story. Between chapters 20-21 should be the end so it's coming up! Anyways happy (late) new years and see y'all again soon (this time I mean it im writing it rn)

Adiós!