ch 18; the birth of their son

'

The remaining time of the pregnancy went on without any struggle. With the help from Knuckles, the nursery got finished.
The walls are in a pretty baby blue color, with a few white clouds here and there in different sizes at the upper part of the walls.
The furniture are white colored.
The crib is new, and not from second hand. Which Knuckles and Mephiles decided to buy new, since they would probably only get one child, and no more. So, they wanted to go all in, and buy everything new. Despite that would be ridiculous expensive.
The crib stands in the middle of the room onto a circular carpet in a slightly darker blue than the walls. And above the crib, a canopy in blueish mosquito net was hanging over the crib.
Everything was prepared for the child, the clothes, and the toys. Even though it would take a while until the baby would be able to play with them.

Now they were only waiting until the child would get born.
And despite they haven't chosen a name yet due they wanted to wait until the child was born... They have already talked about a few names.
Knuckles likes the names 'Nathan' and 'Malcon'... While Mephiles likes 'Carlos', 'Leon' and 'Sid'...
But since they didn't wanted to risk choosing a name that wouldn't suit the child, they would wait until they got a glimpse of the baby.
Like-... It would feel wrong naming a child 'Black' when it gets born with red fur... It would almost sound as a bad joke.
So no-... No naming until the baby has come out to the world.

But it turned out neither of those names were even on the table the moment when their son got born.

It was a beautiful day when Mephiles suddenly got in pain where the stomach kept aching around a minute, until the pain was completely gone during few minutes... Until they came back with stronger pain who caused the hedgehog to grunt with hissing sound through gritted teeth.
But those intense pain didn't came until it was dusk.
During the day he waved the pain away as normal pregnancy pain... Simply 'cause the last days had been a struggle, where the stomach was big and heavy. And gave him back pains.
Even the stomach had been aching here and there, where it sometimes felt as it hardened. And he had to stop moving for a while until the stomach became normal again.

So no-... He didn't suspected he would give birth that day...
It wasn't until late evening where he tried relax on the couch, he finally understood... The child would get born today!
The pain dropped down to the lower part, almost as something was tearing him apart there.

He waited until the latest wave of pain was over, until he dialed Knuckles.
The hedgehog barely got the phone against the ear when the other answered.

"Something wrong?!" Knuckles asks worried, with a bit panting breathing as he had threw over the phone.
Mephiles let's out a surprised gasp. It almost sounds as Knuckles knew something is going on.
"... I might be in labor... I mean-... I have regular pains, and need-..." he clears the throat.
"I WILL BE THERE IN A MOMENT!... -DON'T WORRY..." Knuckles says in hurry, and hangs up.

Mephiles blinks surprised, and stares shocked at the screen.
He barely got the chance to say anything-... And Knuckles was ready to get his ass over in no time...
Despite the pain, he smiles in relief and happiness. At least he could count on Knuckles when it came to this...

***

The ride to the hospital was like in a dream... Despite it was ridiculous painful, it felt so unreal. Almost as he was looking down on himself from above.
It was dark outside when they arrived on the parking lot to the white building.
Knuckles helped Mephiles getting inside the building to check in. While he also had the hospital bag over the shoulder. In case Mephiles needs staying over a while.

At first the nurses didn't wanted to take Mephiles into the delivery room due it was his first pregnancy... Therefore it should take a lot longer time for him, than someone who is pregnant for the second time, before giving birth.
But-... Knuckles didn't gave up until they agreed to take Mephiles to the room. Which they did when Mephiles grunted in pain during one of those moments when the labor pain kicked in.