4| Auradon's Villian

"I think we all know why we're here," Beast said to Belle, Fairy Godmother, Ben and Mal as they gathered in one of the many rooms in their castle.

"The people are in a panic about Hades. He almost got out," he continued.

"Who knows what he would've done if he had escaped?" Fairy Godmother added.

"We can't risk having another villian on the loose," Beast stated.

"I really feel like this is my fault. I'm supposed to protect Auradon," Mal said before turning towards Ben.

"You did, you do protect Auradon," Ben assured her.

"Everytime we open the barrier, we're exposed to danger. Maleficent, Uma, Hades," Beast spoke again until they were interrupted by Ben's phone ringing.

"Maleficent's scepter and the Queen's crown have been stolen," Ben stated after a few moments when he returned.

"Uma," Beast stated.

"We don't know that, dad," Ben said to his father.

"When the people hear this, they will never want to leave their houses. What do we tell them?" Belle asked.

"Mal? What do we do? How do we keep evil out of Auradon?" Belle then asked as she turned towards her future daughter in law.

"I think that there's only... one way to guarantee their safety. And I think that there can't be anymore going in and out. I think that we have to close the barrier... forever," Mal stated with teary eyes.

"No," Ben muttered before he turned away.

"Son," Beast called out to him.

"No," he repeated.

"Ben," Mal called as she followed after him.

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no," he mumbled as Mal made her way towards him.

"Hey. I do not want to take away your dream because it was so beautiful and it is why I fell in love with you. But, as King and as Queen... what's our duty?" Mal said to Ben as she placed a hand on his chest.

"To protect Auradon," Ben whispered.

"But do you know what this would mean? All those kids? Are you prepared for that?" he then asked her as he cupped a hand over hers.

"I know what it means... and no, I'm not prepared for it. I just think that we have no other choice," Mal stated.

"Son," Beast called out.

"Mal's right," he said as his son turned towards them.

"I just don't think that we would ever forgive ourselves if something terrible happened," she stated.

~~~

"Who else knows about the crown and the scepter?" Evie asked Mal.

Evie, Mal and y/n sat in Evie's design studio. Mal had just told the two of them about the meeting she and Ben had with Belle, Beast and Fairy Godmother.

"No one," Mal breathed out.

"I mean, think about it, people are scared enough as it it. We have to employ these entirely new security measures," she continued.

"Will this delay bringing over more VKs?" y/n stepped in as she pushed herself off the doorframe after watching Carlos and Jay play ball with Aaron, Squeaky and Squirmy.

"We're talking about closing the barrier for good," Mal stated.

"But you said no, right?" y/n then asked.