CHAPTER 12

It was 7 pm. Noah perched on the couch, a laptop in his lap. Leo whined that he was starving. He grabbed his phone from the table and called to order Chinese takeout food, Le mein for him and sweet and sour chicken for Leo. He did not feel like making dinner for himself as for two hours, he had been browsing to find the best things to do on the date or the best places for dates.

Noah thought of checking on Dorothea later after his date, so he made his plan according to it. His attention was pulled out of his preoccupied thoughts of planning his date when he heard the doorbell.

"It came fast." Leo leaped to his feet.

"This might be someone else." Noah chuckled and Leo's brightened expression substituted for gloom. He flipped closed the laptop, placed it aside on the couch, and walked over to the door to open it. 

"Hi, Noah," Augustus said, standing at the threshold of his door. 

"Hey— What are you doing here at this hour?" Noah's brows knitted. The boy seemed uptight as if he wanted to tell him something important. 

"May I come inside?" 

Noah nodded and held the door open for him, letting him enter, and then he shut the door behind him.

Augustus looked at Leo, who was settled on the recliner and watching a movie; It's a Wonderful Life in black and white version.

"Fratello likes old movies also."

Noah knows Angelo likes old movies and also, knows his favorite movie. However, this was not something Augustus came to his place to discuss. It seemed he was indecisive about how to start telling.

"Wanna drink something?"

"Water will be fine." 

"Why don't you sit down?"

Noah went into the kitchen and came with a glass of water. He gave it to Augustus who was perched at the table, near the kitchen counter. The boy took the glass and mumbled a thank you before he emptied the glass. Noah grabbed the chair across from him. Putting the glass on the table, the boy's green eyes with golden flecks looked back at him and then his gaze darted over his neck. While Noah's hand reached up to hide the bruise.

Leo had suggested he cover it with concealer. Noah had no idea what kind of stuff he had been talking about until he checked on Google. So then, he bought one concealer from some cosmetic store. He had decided to use it when he would go out since he was not expecting anyone at his place to come.

"A mosquito bit me."

The boy's face was so guileless as he said, "It must be a pretty big mosquito."

'Yep—like an elephant.'

"How's everything at Mrs. Garcia's place?"

"Fratello's men guarding the place, and some technicians also mended her place the water supply and electricity."

"That's excellent." Noah smiled.

"When is your date with Fratello?" Augustus asked suddenly.

"Haven't talked to him about it, but I'll ask him today." He trusted Angelo would agree to a date once he learned the pendant was authentic.

"You came here to tell me something?"

"Uh-mm. . .I want to tell you a story."

"What kind of story?" Noah was not in the mood to know any kind of story. Although Augustus didn't give him an impression of coming to humor him.