Chapter 1

Harry wasn't quite sure when he noticed that Malfoy was being... nice. Coming back for an additional year at Hogwarts, Harry wasn't quite sure what to expect, but he thought he could count on two things. People following him around questioning him about the war, wanting autographs, pictures, and to be his friend? Check. Malfoy remaining a complete and utter tosser? Check, but also uncheck. It seemed as if the only person Malfoy wasn't nice to was Harry himself.

The rumors had spread of course. Riches and treasures being taken to pay for war reparations. Lucius, Narcissa, and Draco remaining free because Harry felt as if some sort of debt was owed, as if one act of kindness could undo so many years of hurt and trauma. It couldn't, if you were wondering.

No matter where Harry went, it felt like Draco was always there. Watching, waiting. Harry didn't know for what, he didn't know if he cared.

As if that wasn't a blatant lie. Whenever Draco Malfoy was involved, Harry would always be interested, obsessed, infatuated. Maybe even enamored. Of all the things to change this year, he wasn't expecting to see such a great one in his enemy. Former enemy? Harry couldn't tell you, but he could tell you that, "Malfoy if you don't stop staring at me I'll hex you to bits!," Harry hissed, kicking him under the table.

"Don't flatter yourself, Scarhead. I'm cursed really, that the only available seat at the table was directly across from you."

Maybe Harry had a bit of a temper this year, causing everyone to give him extra space. That extra space was not an invitation for Malfoy to fit himself in.

"Then I'll solve everyone's problems and leave."

"Take some food with you, you didn't even eat."

"Yes I did."

"Funny Potter, I didn't know pushing food around your plate constituted eating. My mistake."

Harry made a big show of filling his plate with food, taking a big bite, then flipping Malfoy off as he headed upstairs. If he had turned back around, he would've seen the soft smile take over Draco's face, and the way Hermione squeezed Draco's shoulder in approval.

Draco had full intentions of apologizing to Harry after the trials, but Harry had completely disappeared. Draco tried once more during the rebuilding of Hogwarts, but Harry once again was nowhere to be seen whenever Draco tried to seek him out.

On the first day of school, Draco had almost had him. Draco was late making his way to dinner, hoping for the halls to clear out. That's when he saw him. A few steps ahead of him, was none other than Harry Potter himself.

"Potter," was out of Draco's mouth before he could even help himself.

He watched Harry freeze, then stiffen, before slowly turning around.

"Malfoy."

"I wanted to say that-"

"Not today Malfoy. Just not today."

"I've been trying to-"

"What did I say?"

"Potter all I want-," Draco tried again.

"Just leave me alone! I don't need this this year."

"Fine."

The tone was cool, clipped, and emotionless, and Harry hadn't had that directed at him in months. Draco walked away, being sure to bump Harry's shoulder on his way out, as was expected of him.

"Figured. Nothing's changed."

"On the contrary Potter, everything has changed. Once again, you think you know everything when you know absolutely nothing."

"Malfoy-"

"No. This is me leaving you alone."

Draco was foolish to think it would be this easy. He always liked a challenge, but this may be too much, even for him. From that day on, he rarely ever spoke to Potter, but he was always watching. More often than not, Potter needed a push, but he would only yield if Draco was the one doing the pushing.

Everyone could see Potter wasn't eating, but no one was brave enough to say anything. Granger and Weasley were too soft, too in tune with Potter's emotions. Draco on the other hand, had absolutely nothing to lose. Potter already hated him, as did almost everyone else for that matter, so truly, it was only up from here.

He could say what he wanted without repercussions. The only issue being if Potter got physical. Draco didn't know if Potter still had that spark in him, but he was fairly confident he would find out before the end of the school year.