Chapter 10

The tentative friendship slowly grew stronger. Draco was proving to Harry that he would stay by his side, and Harry was letting him. They often walked to the art room together, and they slowly began exploring the castle together on nights where they couldn't sleep. New, happy memories were being made where in their wake once stood darkness and despair.

Slowly, Harry began to smile more. He even sat in on a defense class, deciding whether or not he still wanted to take it. He much preferred this Professor Firestone to the last. She had a relaxed but stern demeanor that reminded him a lot of Minerva.

She had the class doing a lot of partner work, and decided to take the class when he realized Draco was left without a partner.

"Come back for more, have you Potter?"

"With you Malfoy? Always," Harry had retorted.

They had sparred, and Harry found enjoyment in the act for the first time in years. He had won, but it was by a slim margin. Draco accepted the hand Potter offered, only briefly considering pulling him down, telling Harry so once he was on his two feet.

"Git," Harry murmured, elbowing Draco.

"Prat," Draco retorted back, fondness just edging into his voice.

"Very impressive boys."

"Thanks Professor," Draco replied, feeling proud of his performance.

He would get Harry next time.

"I'll take it you're staying then Mr. Potter?"

"I suppose I am."

"If you have a few moments after class, I'd love to speak with you."

"Potter and I have a potions project we need to work on."

Harry appreciated the offered out. Draco knew him almost alarmingly well.

"I can spare a few moments."

"Wonderful. Don't worry Mr. Malfoy, I won't keep him from you for too long."

"That's preferred, yes."

Draco found himself dragging his feet after class.

"I'll wait for you outside, yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Mr. Potter, I've already spoken with your classmates who have helped you teach this course. I'm just looking for input. What do you think is necessary for your classmates to know?"

Harry blinked, amazed that he was being asked.

"A full corporeal patronus was my end goal. Other than that, students need to practice safely, with partners they can trust. I can trust that Malfoy knows my limits, and won't push me past them. I can't really spar or duel with many other people because they seize up or don't react in time. When I move, Malfoy moves with me."

"It's almost like a dance the two of you partake in. I've heard much about your shared history. I must say, it's nice to see you've been able to form such a strong bond."

"It helps," Harry replied with a shrug. "Is that all?"

"Yes. If you have any other suggestions or critiques, please let me know. I want my class to be useful."

"Of course."

Nodding his head, Harry made his way outside of the classroom.

"Everything alright?," Draco inquired, failing at the casual tone he had tried to implement.

"Oh yeah. She just wanted to ask if I had any input on what should be taught. She seems nice."

"Assuming we don't kill each other by the end of all of this, do you think you could help me cast a patronus?"