Chapter 12

Draco was surprised that he had slept so fitfully. He never did well in new environments, but Harry made him feel so safe and secure, he was almost certain he could fall asleep anywhere in his presence.

"Malfoy, wake up."

"Hmm?"

"I want to teach you how to make breakfast."

"Do you have dreams of being poisoned?"

"Ah, I don't dream much at all. C'mon, we have a big day today."

"I'll be down in a few minutes."

Draco cringed when looking at himself in the mirror. Harry had seen him with his hair looking like that, and Draco was appalled. He made sure to make himself look presentable before meeting Harry in the kitchen, who had made no effort in his appearance at all.

"So, plans for today?," Draco asked, sitting on the counter across from Harry.

"First, I'm going to teach you how to make pancakes. Then we're going to the mall to get you some clothes and practicing using muggle money. We'll come back here for a quick lunch, then we'll go out somewhere else. That depends on the weather, it looks as if it might rain."

"Just let me know what I should wear."

"You can just wear the hoodie you borrowed yesterday if you want to. Black trousers. We'll get you some jeans."

"I don't even want to know what jeans are. I do have a minor concern though."

"Hmm?"

"Are you putting bell peppers in the pancakes?"

"What? Oh!," Harry continued with a laugh. "No, I'm just meal prepping for lunch. I'm not sure how long we'll be out, so I wanted to make sure I could just toss everything into the frying pan so that we don't lose time."

"Do you need me to do anything?"

"Do you think you can crack some eggs without getting shells in the bowl?"

"Probably not, but I can try?," Draco offered.

He washed his hands, grabbed an egg, and proceeded to smash it against the side of the bowl. Harry couldn't stop the laughter that escaped his mouth, and Draco was terribly embarrassed.

"I'll try to salvage that later."

Grabbing another bowl, Harry dumped the mass of egg and crushed shells into it, leaving that to be dealt with later.

"Grab another egg."

Draco did so, staring at it skeptically. Harry grabbed Draco's hand in his own, guiding him to lightly tap the egg against the bowl.

"When you hear that first crack, then you can separate the halves of the shell. Like this."

"Oh Merlin, this feels disgusting!"

"You get used to it. After that, take this fork and mix it up. Are scrambled eggs fine?"

"They are, yes."

Draco mixed while he watched Harry make the pancake batter, explaining every step that he did.

"Chocolate chips?"

"Please."

"I have this blueberry maple syrup that is to die for."

"Is it possible to overmix this?"

"I got it now. Can you grab the chocolate chips? Top shelf of the pantry."

"You have a lot of food in here."