crete

July, 1992.

"Well, that should do it." Seamus brushed his hands off on his shorts and wiped the sweat from his brow. The nearby fan wasn't much good to cool us down from moving boxes and plants in the heat, though the minute breeze had felt nice when it turned in our direction.

"For today, at least. Tomorrow we'll be doing the sofas," Dean panted, taking a long swig of water from his glass. I too poured myself some from the pitcher and took a long sip.

"You know, I reckon I've started to take levitating charms for granted," Neville remarked. The rest of us chuckled at this. Helping Dean's grandparents move in for their retirement had been no easy task.

Since my father would be in meetings all day for the next week, I'd decided to come help the boys with the house while he was away. I figured I would probably do the same the next day, and perhaps the day after. The meetings were only to last a week, but my father and I were staying in Crete for two so we could spend some time together. We rarely ever went on vacation.

"What do you say we do some sightseeing?" Dean suggested. "It's gorgeous around here. We've got some bikes somewhere to ride."

"Bikes? I don't think I've ever ridden one of those." Neville said, as though he'd never heard the word before. I supposed wizards didn't need bikes when they could just fly everywhere.

"It's just like a broom with wheels," Seamus explained. Neville shot him a look.

"Yeah, well we all know how great the broom went for me." He reminded him. "I think I'll pass."

I was about to protest, insisting we could easily teach Neville to ride, when something moved in the corner of my eye. Small, almost undetectable. My senses were on high alert, and I kept my eyes peeled.

"You guys go inside and cool off some. I'll be there in just a moment," I told them. Dean and Seamus exchanged a look, but the latter just shrugged and led the other two back inside. I heard Seamus' muffled explanations of the mechanics of a bike before the screen door swung shut behind them.

As soon as they disappeared, the thing re-emerged, now standing still enough that I could see it clearly. It was a garden snake. A small, green one, similar to the ones back home that were often shades of brown or grey instead. It was peering at me curiously, it's little tongue investigating.

"Hey," I told it softly. "I'm afraid you're going to have to relocate. There's a new couple coming in and I'm not sure how fond they'll be of snakes."

The snake's tongue flicked in and out impatiently. "But I just settled in two nights ago! You're telling me I have to move again?"

"Yes, unfortunately." I informed it. "Have you a family?"

"What?"

"Offspring. A mate." I clarified.

"Oh no, not yet. It's just me." It said. "We're solitary creatures. That concept doesn't apply to us the way it does to you."

I frowned. "Sounds lonely."

"I've never known any different." The snake stated. "So I think it's alright."

It turned and began to slither away before pausing. "Oh, and thanks for the warning."

"Not a problem." I watched it disappear through the brush and into the foliage behind the house. Hopefully it could find another yard to live in.