my arithmancy exam

a/n: final chapter for third year!! yippie!! on a more serious note, tw for slight mentions of abuse

We made it back down to the Hospital Wing in the nick of time, after informing Dumbledore of our success. We sneaked back into our beds not a second too soon, as Madam Pomfrey reentered the ward.

"Was that the headmaster leaving? Am I allowed to look after my patients now?" She asked irritably. She began to hand us more and more chocolate. We took it quietly, waiting tensely for a sign . . .

Suddenly, there was a loud, strangled roar from floors above.

Madam Pomfrey jumped, dropping the chocolate she was giving me onto my lap.

"What was that?" She asked, alarmed. I shrugged, fighting back a grin as I picked up the chunk of chocolate and bit into it.

The voices were growing nearer, and we could hear them now.

"He must have Disapparated, Severus. We should have left somebody in the room with him. When this gets out—"

"HE DIDN'T DISAPPARATE!" Professor Snape was seething. "YOU CAN'T APPARATE OR DISAPPARATE INSIDE THIS CASTLE! THIS — HAS — SOMETHING — TO — DO — WITH — POTTER!"

Harry and I barely had time to exchange a look when the door burst open with a loud bang. Dumbledore looked like he was enjoying himself, but Fudge and Professor Snape were angry. The latter of the two was beside himself with rage. He marched up to Harry's bed furiously.

"OUT WITH IT, POTTER!" He yelled. "WHAT DID YOU DO?"

"Professor Snape!" Madam Pomfrey snapped. "Control yourself."

"Snape, be reasonable," Fudge motioned to the door. "This doors been locked, we just saw—"

"THEY HELPED HIM ESCAPE, I KNOW IT!" Professor Snape howled, pointing at the three of us.

"Calm down, man!" Fudge ordered. "You're speaking nonsense!"

"YOU DON'T KNOW POTTER!" Snape's fists were clenched so tightly his knuckles were white. "HE DID IT! I KNOW HE DID IT—"

"That will do, Severus," Dumbledore interjected quietly. "Think about what you are saying. This door has been locked since I left the ward ten minutes ago. Madam Pomfrey, have these students left their beds?"

"Of course not"  said Madam Pomfrey. "I would have heard them!"

"Well, there you have it, Severus," Dumbledore said calmly. "Unless you are suggesting that Harry and Hermione are able to be in two places at once, I'm afraid I don't see any point in troubling them further."

Snape stood there fuming, looking between Dumbledore, Fudge, and the three of us, before turning on his heel and storming out of the ward.

"Fellow seems quite unbalanced," remarked Fudge. "I'd look out for him if I were you, Dumbledore."

"Oh, he's not unbalanced," said Dumbledore tranquilly. "He's just suffered a severe disappointment."

After Fudge promised to have the Dementors removed from the school, he and Dumbledore left the ward. Madame Pomfrey retreated back into her office.

Suddenly, I swore. Harry and Hermione looked at me in alarm.

"What?" Harry asked.

"Arithmancy exam," I said solemnly to Hermione, and she swore just as nastily.

We left the Hospital Wing the next day at seven to get breakfast before our exam. The Slytherin half of our study group looked particularly miserable, though Draco seemed rather enthused to see me.