a warning

It was a drowsy Friday morning as we prepared for double potions with Slytherin. I was hoping that Professor Snape would take pity on me and switch my partner, but he did nothing of the sort.

I suppose after the events from last year he'd gained a sort of respect for me — and therefore trusted me and Malfoy to work as a team. However, this did not go as swimmingly as he'd probably thought. It was ten minutes into our potionmaking and Malfoy and I were already arguing.

"Can't you read? It says add the roots in gradually!" Malfoy hissed at me. I scowled at him.

"Yes, while stirring! I'm waiting for you to start, idiot!" I snapped back. Malfoy grudgingly began to stir the cauldron while I added the roots until our potion became a blindingly vibrant orange color.

"Maybe if you knew a thing or two about communication—" he started, but I cut him off.

"Maybe if you knew a thing or two about listening to instructions—"

We were both promptly cut off by Professor Snape shushing us. We'd been the only ones talking, and our voices had started to rise. We worked in heated silence for another few minutes.

"How were your holidays?" He asked suddenly. I was so shocked I nearly fell off the seat.

"You're asking about my summer?" I clarified, brow raised. He glared.

"You know what? Never mind—"

"They were lovely, thank you," I said anyway. "I had a lot of fun. I've never really had friends to spend the summer with before."

I thought he'd make fun of me for admitting that, but instead he just nodded. "Sounds like a good time, then."

"Yours?" I asked, trying to figure out what he intended with this conversation.

"Very hot," he said with a grimace. "Kind of boring, but the view was nice from our villa. Lovely sunsets, and all."

"Draco Malfoy, an enjoyer of sunsets?" I teased. "I'd never have guessed."

"Don't act so surprised. Everyone likes sunsets," he rolled his eyes. We continued in silence for a moment before he spoke again.

"I didn't realize you were so close with Thomas." His tone was indifferent. "I have to say I should have seen it coming."

"Seen what coming? We've been friends." I blinked at him, perplexed. With a chuckle, I added, "if you had as much interest in your grades as you do my social life then perhaps you'd be more successful."

"What do you see in him, anyway?" Malfoy glanced over at Dean. I followed his gaze. Dean seemed rather annoyed with Lavender, who was standing at the supply table trying to get Harry's attention by dropping ingredients. Harry was preoccupied — his cauldron had started to spark.

"Why do you care?" I said finally, grinding the fangs into a powder. "I thought you'd be glad that I'm fraternizing with my 'own kind.' "

"I honestly don't care what you do, Holmes," Malfoy seemed to shut up after that. However, not five minutes later he spoke again. "Do you fancy him?"

"You ask a lot of questions for someone who doesn't care," I replied flatly. "And if I did, I surely wouldn't tell you, Malfoy."

I poured in the powder and finally looked him in the eye as I shook the last few grains out. "Now are you going to help me with this potion or not?"

"I was going to grind the berries but somebody has the mortar and pestle—"

"So go get another one!" I exclaimed, exasperated. I motioned to the supply table, which Lavender had finally left. "Good God, Malfoy. Use a brain cell, perhaps."