season of the sticks

a/n: Totally unrelated to stick season by Noah Kahan, there's just an absurd amount of sticks in this chapter.

The morning that I was to go back to school, Angela woke me up earlier to do my makeup. Despite my protests and "you really don't have to's" she sat me in front of my vanity and set her makeup bag on the counter.

"Not that you need it, of course," she told me, "nobody really needs makeup, but I think everyone should try it at least once. If you don't like it, I'll wipe it right off."

I shrugged my consent. "I trust your abilities."

She put a few products on me — mascara, blush, and a pencil for my eyebrows — while explaining and showing me how they worked and how to put them on.

"I think we should try some eyeliner on you," she said excitedly. "It's really in style right now and I think you'd like it a lot. I won't use much — just a little wing. If that's okay with you?"

"Sure," I said, like I had any idea what that meant. Angela's eyes were sparkling with joy and I could tell she was having a field day. Admittedly, I was too, though this wasn't something I typically enjoyed. Still, I wanted to let her have her fun.

"Voila!" She exclaimed, moving to my side so I could see myself in the mirror. For once in my life, I felt pretty. Not that I usually feel ugly — I'm always satisfied with my appearance. But looking at myself here, I was astounded at what just a little makeup could do.

"Wow," I breathed, "thank you."

"It's my pleasure," Angela looked very pleased with herself, "why don't you take these to school with you? I wouldn't mind at all. I have loads of other products and these seem to work better for you than me."

"That's so generous of you, but you really don't have to—"

"Nonsense," she waved away my protest, "I was showing you how to use them for a reason. Just remember — only use them if you want to, not because someone else wants you to or because you want to impress anybody. You've impressed me immensely without even trying."

"So have you," I told her, "you're nothing like what I expected you to be. I'm glad you're here — I haven't seen my father this happy in a very long time. Thank you."

"I hope to keep it that way," Angela said, blushing with a fond smile, "and I'm very pleased that you think so highly of me."

I wasn't sure how anyone wouldn't think highly of her, but I just smiled in reply. She zipped the products back into her little bag and handed them to me.

"It's been a pleasure doing business with you," she said, beaming.

I laughed, taking the bag from her. "Very professional."

She winked, "I'm glad you think so."

We left for Kings Cross two hours later and both her and my father waved me goodbye on the Muggle side of Platform 9 3/4. Once on the train, I found myself my own compartment and sat down. Before lifting my luggage into the compartment I grabbed my copy of A Study in Scarlet and began to read to myself. After a few minutes, the compartment door was opened.

"Hey, Lila." Dean stood in the doorway, but did a double take. "That's new. Angela's work, I'm guessing?"

I nodded, unsure how this interaction was going to go. We hadn't had a real conversation in a long time. "Yes, she's very skilled."

"I can see that," he remarked. He motioned to the seat across from mine, "is this seat taken?"

I shook my head, and much to my surprise he put his luggage into its compartment and sat across from me.

There was a bit of silence. I moved my gaze to look out the window, the train had started to move and we were leaving the station.

"Listen, Lila," Dean began. I turned back around to look at him. His lips were pursed, as though fighting the urge to blurt something out.

"I'm listening," I encouraged.

"This is weird." Dean finally burst. "I don't want things to be weird anymore. I miss being your friend, and I miss having you in our little group with Seamus and Neville. It doesn't feel right without you, and also we're all abhorrent at studying, and-"