brutus

a/n: lila accidentally steals a snake

"What's all that, Hermione?" Harry asked, pointing at all three bags of her books.

"Well, I'm taking more new subjects than you, aren't I? Those are my books for Arithmancy, Care of Magical Creatures, Divination, the Study of Ancient Runes, Muggle Studies—"

"What in earth are you doing Muggle Studies for?" Ron rolled his eyes. This was the fourth time he'd brought this up today. "You were raised by Muggles!"

"But it'll be fascinating to study them from the wizarding point of view," Hermione insisted.

"Are you planning to eat or sleep at all this year, Hermione?" asked Harry.

"That's what I said!" I exclaimed. Ron was snickering again. Hermione ignored us.

"I've still got ten Galleons," she said. "It's my birthday in September, and Mum and Dad gave me some money to get myself an early birthday present."

"How about a nice book?" suggested Ron, trying desperately to hold in another laugh. I found myself smiling into my straw.

"No, I don't think so," said Hermione. If she'd caught on to the joke, she didn't say anything. "I really want an owl. I mean, Harry's got Hedwig and Lila has Willow and you've got Errol—"

"I haven't," protested Ron. "Errol's a family owl. All I've got is Scabbers, and I want to get him checked over." He took Scabbers out of his pocket and placed him on the table."I don't think Egypt agreed with him."

I suddenly felt a strange twinge in my skull. I stopped drinking my milkshake and placed my hand over the spot and massaged it. "Ow," I muttered.

"What's wrong?" Harry asked, but the feeling was gone.

"Brain freeze." I groaned.

"Yeah, maybe you should slow down some," Hermione eyed my nearly-finished milkshake warily. "We've got all day, there's no rush. Plus, there's a magical creature shop just across the street, so take your time."

After we were all fed and watered, we went over to Magical Menagerie. Hermione looked around the shop for a pet, while Ron inquired about rat tonic. I was drawn to a corner of the room where several serpents sat idly in terrariums.

I touched my fingers to the glass of a Western Hognose Snake. It had big, black eyes that stared up at me from where it was coiled, and it was adorable.

"Well aren't you cute? How are you today?" I asked it quietly. The general commotion of the other animals masked my Parseltongue, but I wanted to make sure no one heard me except for my new friend.

"Well, and you?" It replied.

"Also well," I told it. "I've always wanted a snake, but we're not allowed them in Hogwarts."

"A pity," said the Hognose. "It gets lonely here. The reticulated python above me won't shut up."

"I heard that," the much larger snake above it hissed.

"It's too bad you don't hear it more often," said the Hognose. I chuckled.

"Who's your friend?" Asked the milk snake beside the Hognose. I looked to see Harry was watching me curiously. I waved him over.

"Introduce yourself," I said. Harry sighed.

"Hi," Harry told them, making sure to keep his voice down despite all the racket. "I'm Harry. This is Lila."

"Pleased to meet you," said the milk snake. "Anyone interested in a purchase?"

"I'd buy all of you if I could," I told them. "But unfortunately, we can't. We've both already got very respectable owls, anyway."